help

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
jan degraeve

help

Post by jan degraeve »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to open old Freehand files from 1996, a customer would like to reprint an old file for a 20th birthday business anniversary.
I've tried to open the files in Illustrator (CS 5,1 and CC 2015) but that doesn't work. I've also tried reinstalling my old Freehand software but Mac OSX doesn't support PowerPC programs any more.

I'm stuck.
Any suggestions anyone?

I would be grateful!
Jan
FFH Mark

Re: help

Post by FFH Mark »

Illustrator CS5 should open the files since it has the FreeHand script but do you know what version of FreeHand these were created in?
jan degraeve

Post by jan degraeve »

Hi FFH Mark,

I found Freehand 8 software in its original box, but I suspect the files I want to open are even from an older Freehand version, because Illustrator CS5,1 won't open the document. The design was created in 1995 and in 1996 I made a second file, probably an updated version. That's all I can find out.

Jan
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

If these were from '95 than it must have been FH5 or FH7. There is an online FreeHand file checker to get the exact version here : https://www.tensai.co.uk/ai/convert.php

You could then try to add that extension to the file name and see if Illustrator CS5 will open it. example:
"myfreehandfilename.fh7"