how to convert old freehand files to illustrator?

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
justradar

how to convert old freehand files to illustrator?

Post by justradar »

hi, i've been searching for a while and can't find an answer to this

i have a bunch of older freehand files that i'd like to convert to illustrator. i understand that not everything will convert perfectly, like text, etc ... what's the best route to go. i'm on a mac.

i really hate illustrator. i've been fighting it since they killed freehand :(

is there a "favorite" defacto illustrator alternative? i know there are several but what is the general consensus for one that works better. illustrator is such a steaming pile of shit it makes my blood boil.

thanks!
Handsfree

Re: how to convert old freehand files to illustrator?

Post by Handsfree »

I only have an old copy of CS. I use that to simply open previous versions of FreeHand by 'saving' (exporting) to an 'ai' format and job done. It is by far the simplest option and works with any version of FreeHand.
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

A very good plugin for FreeHand conversion to AI-CS6 or CC is Tensai's FreeHand Interface: http://www.tensai.co.uk/ai/index.php It costs $50 but if you have a lot of files, it is definitely worth it and the developer continues to improve it. A 10% off code for FreeHandForum users is available.

If you have only a few files, I agree with Handsfree but add that exporting your FH files to PDF will also work well. Illustrator handles PDFs better in cases where text is a problem.
Herbert

Post by Herbert »

If you are on a Mac, it may be a good idea to invest in Affinity Designer, which opens Freehand files.

And it compares favourably to Freehand. Most Freehand users who try Affinity Designer tend to love it. And for a mere $50!
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/
3Don

Post by 3Don »

I have had to convert FH files to AI.
All I do is drag the FH file onto the AI program icon and most of the time it just opens in AI OK. Sometimes there is a font issue but that can be minor.
Then I say as an AI file. Done.
rickytickytoony

Post by rickytickytoony »

For years I've used the combination of FreeHand (MXa or 10) and Illustrator CS4 to handle most of my designing needs.

While FreeHand is my main design program, Illustrator comes in handy for transparencies and saving to a PDF when the dreaded warning about having too many points in a design pops-up in FH.

The nice thing about this combination is that Illustrator CS4 can open FreeHand files — AND — you can copy and paste art from Illustrator CS4 directly into an open FreeHand file!!!!!

I also have a full subscription to Adobe CC and use the "latest and greatest" version of Illustrator regularly, but even that still pales in comparison to FreeHand.

I've also purchased Affinity, but haven't played with it much. In a previous post, someone mentioned that Affinity can open FH files — I haven't been able to make that happen, but will look into it further.

FreeHand has yet to be conquered!
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

rickytickytoony wrote:For years I've used the combination of FreeHand (MXa or 10) and Illustrator CS4 to handle most of my designing needs.

While FreeHand is my main design program, Illustrator comes in handy for transparencies and saving to a PDF when the dreaded warning about having too many points in a design pops-up in FH.

The nice thing about this combination is that Illustrator CS4 can open FreeHand files — AND — you can copy and paste art from Illustrator CS4 directly into an open FreeHand file!!!!!

I also have a full subscription to Adobe CC and use the "latest and greatest" version of Illustrator regularly, but even that still pales in comparison to FreeHand.

I've also purchased Affinity, but haven't played with it much. In a previous post, someone mentioned that Affinity can open FH files — I haven't been able to make that happen, but will look into it further.

FreeHand has yet to be conquered!

Great report on how you use FreeHand with other programs. I notice that Affinity Designer seems to only open one page FreeHand files. I notice also that it doesn't import any text either so you have to convert type to outlines in FH first. I'm hoping they will continue to work on these issues as time goes on but I realize they wanted to get it up and running first.

I also use Illustrator quite a bit with FreeHand. I do all my line work in FHMX and then to AI-CC for effects and output. I use the Tensai FreeHand plugin for doing conversion. Illustrator is adding a lot of FreeHand features these days (bezigon tool, paste inside, zoom, etc.) but they are still stuck in a confusing and overly complex interface. Plus my old habits of FreeHand don't apply to AI (deleting an anchor point doesn’t work by hitting the delete key. :)