[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - HELP!! FH on 10.8.5 - no luck, just a lot of wasted time!
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 pm

Virtual systems and FreeHand

HELP!! FH on 10.8.5 - no luck, just a lot of wasted time!

All about running FreeHand inside a virtual system on more recent Macs with OS 10.7 or newer.

HELP!! FH on 10.8.5 - no luck, just a lot of wasted time!

Postby freehandFred » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:13 am

I'm a newbie to the forum so apologies if this has already been covered!

I love FH. Have used it since 1996. I don't like illustrator and don't wish to change (I have it, I just don't use it!)

I'm on a current model iMac. I use FH on my 2011 MacBook Pro 17 via screen sharing. Works perfectly except yesterday my MacBook died $%£!

So, I've tried VMware, Parallels and VirtualBox. None of which worked despite much effort and frustration. With VMware and Parallels the grey screen with the apple logo is replaced by a darker grey screen and the rainbow spinning wheel of terror and it doesn't progress past there. I did test virtualising on an older mac and it was fine so my Snow Leopard Server disc is fine. On the newer machine it just seems to get stuck...

I also tried Crossover and a windows version of Freehand but you can't open Mac files (of which I have many!)

Next option is to buy a PC and make a 10.8.6 hackintosh but that's costly and clunky.

Can someone out there shed some light?! Maybe someone who's had the same issue and overcome it!?

Many thanks!

Fred.
freehandFred

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: HELP!! FH on 10.8.5 - no luck, just a lot of wasted time

Postby FFH Mark » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:41 pm

Hi, I can't speak on everything you tried but can help a bit. I have Crossover and to have it open files you must add the extension .fh11 for your FHMX files. That works for me on Mavericks. Crossover has limitations however; you need all your fonts used on the file loaded into it. It also has rendering problems with very complex FreeHand vectors. But that said, I use it for all my touchups, quick editing, creating logos, and infographics.

FYI, I have Snow Leopard/FHMX as a separate boot drive so I will boot to that for projects. I don't have virtualization software added...yet. Maybe one of the members can help you there.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Jonathun » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:44 am

I have Freehand running in 10.6.8 on Parallels in Yosemite. Found it works well but I must logout of parallels when not in use or it crashes and then won't restart
And has to be restored from TC
Jonathun

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby slv987 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:27 pm

I have 6 machines with Mavericks running Snow Leopard Server in VMware Fusion 7. 4 of the machines are 2009 - 2010 iMacs. The others are newer macbook pros. All have upgraded to 8-12 gb of memory. This seemed to be a huge help as before they had 4 gb and would barely run. I allocate 2-4 gb to the VM. We use these machines everyday in a production environment and they work great. As far as accessing FH11 files between Mavericks and Snow Leopard I have found it easiest to create a share on the Mavericks side access the share from Snow Leopard. This eliminates the need to add the FH11 extension. For some reason the VM Sharing won't read the files without extensions. If there are any other questions I could answer I would be happy to help.
slv987

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby freehandFred » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:52 am

freehandFred

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby slv987 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:07 pm

I ran into that trying to install it on a newer macbook without a dvd drive. I had to install it using the installation dvd on an external dvd drive. For some reason the disc image would not work. If you don't have an external you may be able to share the dvd drive from another mac. Hope this helps.
slv987

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Virtual systems and FreeHand

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum