[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Affinity Designer
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:36 pm

Vector app alternatives

Affinity Designer

Post and discuss about other good vector graphics applications.

Re: Affinity Designer

Postby krollian » Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Well. It is a long time since my last post here.

I knew of Affinity Designer 2 months ago. Ladies and gentleman: Hats off.

This is by far the most powerful, fast and capable application for the thousand of loyal FreeHand users around the world.

On October, 2 Affinity Designer has debuted on the Mac App Store and is number one right now in number of downloads. It is the Editor's Choice.

So what will be present on in this version 1.1.0.

I have purchased it, of course. And I sent several files to Serif to check compatibility with FreeHand.

In 2 months Serif will have a operational Beta of Affinity Photo. By the fall of 2015 Affinity Publisher will be a reality.

Saludos desde España.
--------

From the forum:
The idea is the list will never get longer. As we complete and release features then we will replace those features with new ones.

Pro Printing

-Publishing PDF/X-1a, PDF/X-3, PDF/X-4
-PDF Image compression
-Trim and Bleed control
-Overprint control
-Printer marks including crop, registration, colour bars and Info
-Pantone, Spot and Registration colours
-Linked/Global colours
-Tints of colours
-Named colours and palette list mode
-Font sub-setting control
-Phase II transparency flattener

Illustration & Design

-Mesh fill tool
-Mesh warp/distort tool
-Text on a path
-Knife tool
-Line alignment
-Calligraphic line styles
-Symbols
-Export slices previews with actual export data
-Pages and Art-boards
-Text features including Text Styles, Bullets and Numbering
-Dashed line styles
-Knockout groups

Usability

-Pasteboard design area
-Replicate/Blend
-Guides and grid improvements
-User categories in the media browser for shapes and objects
-Customisable shortcut keys

Please feel free to ask questions about the features on the list but don't post new feature requests in this thread, just create a new post.

https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index. ... hl=roadmap
Working in prepress since 1992 in Macs in Spain. Diseñador Gráfico trabajando con Macs desde 1992 en España
krollian

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FH Addict » Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:19 am

I purchased it and I am glad with it, expecting more functions to come but when I read the list of future improvements listed above : ;-)
Here in France, the feedbacks are really good. People are just happy and feel this software has been made for professionals. Maybe the so expected Illustrator killer is now a reality!
FH Addict

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby 10on12 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:42 pm

This is finally the solution.

I'd advise anyone clinging to old versions OF FH running on clunking old Macs to pile in.

This is as close as I've come to Freehand in 10 years.
What it lacks so far in features it makes up for with a fantastic, intuitive interface.
Opens old Freehand files (.FH11 - though not perfect, but they're improving it).
Very responsive development team, who are actively incorporating FH features and suggestions.
I advise everyone to get involved and make this a true alternative not only to Illustrator but let's face it, to a long dead (but much loved) piece of software.

Here's the thread on the Forum for "Freehand Users' Request".

https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index. ... -requests/

Personally, I think an email to all members urging them to get behind Affinity would go a long way to making it a new home for Freehand users.
Last edited by 10on12 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
10on12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:49 pm

Great comment, 10on12! Would you repost your link to the Affinity FreeHand User Request thread; it is missing.

I moved to Mavericks over the weekend just to run Affinity Designer and Gravit ...I'm impressed. The fact that the draw tools match FreeHand over Illustrator is a winner. Needs multi-page and more robust text function but that appears to be in the works.

Yes! on your idea of adding info in the next FFH email Newsletter.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby 10on12 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:21 am

The link is now included.

The new extended pasteboard with multipage, multi-sized documents is due in the coming week as a free upgrade - as well as many other features.
From 2 weeks usage I think V2.0 will see me finally putting FH and my old Mac back in their box.
I urge all FH user to get involved ASAP and make their voice/requests heard - there's a very attentive development team will take on board all constructive suggestions BUT now is the time to get involved - not 2-3 years down the road.

They will consider making the "Freehand Users Requests" a separate tab in "FEATURES" on the forum is there is enough interest.
10on12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby slv987 » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:09 pm

If there is anyone on here who has not checked this out. Do it! This is the closest thing I’ve seen to Freehand. These guys are doing a great job with this app. I’ve been following the beta for a few months and have now purchased the first release. The version that is out right now is still lacking a few key features that would allow me to drop Freehand, but these guys are on it. I think we will see some of these features coming out in the next beta. I can’t believe how quickly they are coming out with new releases. Very exciting times!

As posted above, check out their forums. Lots of great info on what you can expect to come. The developers are right in there answering questions and giving feedback. These guys need to be supported!
slv987

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby krollian » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:27 am

Hi again!

As before of the releasing date, the people at Serif are improving Affinity Designer. They release a new Beta so frequently as close as once per week.

With caution and all securities possible, they will release a minor update to a new version the next month, November of 2014.

Well, I miss the text following the path on a circle's path like in the page 48 of the famous FreHand vs Illustrator comparison.

The text need a lot of improvement. Set columns, improve edition, etc.

I miss create convert to paths an image as, say, Adobe Streamline. Place a image, trace it, set the number of “tones” and apply color to them.

So, what is the final word? Very positive.

The people at Serif said IF THERE IS ENOUGH DEMMAND asking to make possible to run Affinity Designer on Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and make able to open FreeHand version files prior to 10, they will invest time to DO IT.

Please. This is awesome! They are getting a lot of hype. If you enter in their forum you can see at some times more than two hundred people signed.

For us, FreeHand loyal users this is near heaven!!!

Final note:

In the forum I think that Serif do not want to make a lot of tools to get text manipulation so strong capabilities as in FreeHand, because they want you to manipulate text at certain level with Affinity Publisher. An application they will release on beta on summer of 2015.

Well. I understand that. But now the manipulation and edition of text is poor. Is the first version of Affinity Designer too, so ¡hope and patience!

Adobe killed FreeHand. They do not liberate, nor sale it, so ¡here we are! Affinity Designer is a very handsome child or a very beautiful girl...

Graphic designers, illustrators all around the world ¡rise up and get to know him/her!
Working in prepress since 1992 in Macs in Spain. Diseñador Gráfico trabajando con Macs desde 1992 en España
krollian

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

An Interview with Ashley Hewson, the managing director of Se

Postby krollian » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:48 am

An Interview with Ashley Hewson, the managing director of Serif

http://layervault.tumblr.com/post/10118 ... g-director
krollian

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:46 pm

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Previous

Return to Vector app alternatives

Subscribe to Feed