[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Affinity Designer
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:25 pm

Vector app alternatives

Affinity Designer

Post and discuss about other good vector graphics applications.

Affinity Designer

Postby garethglynn » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:42 pm

Has anyone tried ou the beta of Affinity Designer? You can sign up for free at .

I just did that and will post feedback as soon as I get the chance to try it out 8-)
garethglynn

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Affinity Designer

Postby FFH Mark » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Yes, please let us know how it compares to FreeHand. I'm most interested in the draw and selection/delete tools and whether they follow Illustrators method or FreeHands. Also text handling. Overall ease of use.

Right now, only GRAVIT follows FreeHand's draw tool and selection.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:26 pm

I installed the application yesterday and so far it seems to become a very, very promising migration path for FreeHand users. They are working on a FreeHand importer, too.

Yesterday I sent the affinity guys a few of my FreeHand files, partially rather complex ones (together with PDFs for double checking) and today I got a mail claiming that the documents were successfully imported!

At the moment I am busy suggesting to build in FreeHand behavior, e.g. how the pencil tool works, how selection works etc. The developers respond typically within minutes and are very keen of looking into the FreeHand legacy. I also sent them the FreeHand-vs-Illustrator-PDF from the Adobe case and they are very interested.

Plus they are building a layout- and a photo application, all based on one file format. Looks like there is finally a serious competitor …
Matthias

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Matthias » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:26 pm

Here is a today’s quote of a developer from the affinity forum:

“We were going to deliver import of Freehand files after the initial release but after learning more about the situation FH users are in on the Mac, I decided to prioritise it and deliver it with the initial launch.“

https://affinity.serif.com/forum/index. ... le-format/
Matthias

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:46 pm

This...is...incredible!

These guys at Affinity need to be supported. If they are this dedicated to FreeHand users then we may have a good future ahead of us. Along with Gravit, FreeHand's future in a modern application(s) looks promising after Adobe.

Thanks for sharing this latest news, Matthias.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:24 am

You’re welcome, Mark!

I suggest that as many FreeHanders as possible join the Affinity Designer Beta forum to provide the developers with input (and with the experience that there in fact is an widespread urge). I myself will now head over to affinity to suggest more FreeHand-like text and wrapping features.

Yesterday evening I learned that the application will in fact support multipage layouts and - this is incredible - one will be able to open and edit any Affinity document in any of the three Affinity applications (Designer, Photo, Publisher).
Matthias

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby garethglynn » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:49 pm

Matthias, Mark

thanks for these positive interactions and report-back.

As I've struggled with Illustrator for a couple of years I'm looking for a FH replacement that specifically has comparable one-click tracing (Illustrator's drives me nuts) and path tools (punch, union etc).

On a quick initial review Affinity didn't seem to offer either right now. But I was impressed by the choice of colour models etc; it looks like it can produce work for all media.

As soon as I get some time (hopefully mid next week) I'll start it up with some current work and see how I get on. Will report back then.

thanks again

Gareth
garethglynn

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Matthias » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:33 pm

Hey Gareth,
Affinity Designer’s got path tools. Tracing will come a bit later, though.
Matthias

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Bertrude » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:54 pm

Sadly it's a no go in Snow Leopard (10.7+ only) so I can't try it out. Nevertheless, this is most interesting seeing Serif go down this new Mac path catering for a more professional market and can't help route for a company taking on Adobe and wish them all the best :)

I design quite a bit for print so colour consistency is vital. Does this application support spot colours and include a Pantone library?

Also, Freehand's typographic control was pretty expansive. Will Affinity designer offer the same level of control?
Bertrude

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 pm

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Next

Return to Vector app alternatives

Subscribe to Feed