[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Inspiration from other apps
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:48 am

Quasado Gravit

Inspiration from other apps

Your input for Quasado's FreeHand alternative Gravit (formerly known as Expressive or Stagestack)

Inspiration from other apps

Postby matt » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:05 am

Recently I was passenger on a long road trip and spent my time reading large portions of the manuals for both Freehand MX and Xara Designer Pro X. :)

Xara (originally released in 1991, a few years after Aldus Freehand, as ArtWorks on the Acorn Archimedes computer) is the app I switched to when it was no longer feasible for me to use Freehand. It's a Windows app, and whilst I'd love a native Mac OS X version, it works well in VMware Fusion.

Reading both manuals has proved a point I have long suspected. Freehand isn't the best at everything. In a lot of use cases Xara trumps it, but of course not all. Freehand still has better colour swatch handling, arguably better text handling and more. So it makes me happy to hear that "Stagestack" will be Freehand-like but also include other features that were not part of Freehand.

This realisation has changed my expectations of what I'd like to see in any serious new contender:
- Native Mac OS X support (not a cross platform port, Windows users can still run Freehand problem free)
- Xara style object drawing, selection and handling support
- Freehand style colour swatch support, text handling
- Opening/loading of Freehand, Xara (file format is documented), EPS file formats

I recommend anybody who is interested read the Drawing, Selecting and Handling sections of the Xara manual. http://downloads.xara.com/support/version7/dp7/dp7.pdf

Read more about Xara here: http://www.xara.com/uk/products/designer/whatsnew/

The manuals for Freehand and Xara could be considered Technical Specification documents for these apps. I'd be interested to read the Technical Specs for Expressive/StageStack to see how Stagestack compares to Freehand and Xara. Will this document be made public?

I look forward to your thoughts.
matt

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Inspiration from other apps

Postby FFH Mark » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:30 am

Interesting.
I've heard a lot from other FreeHand users about Xara and that it has some unique and powerful tools. Our new app has the potential of bringing in the best of many sources instead of simply rebuilding the familiar FreeHand only. I am downloading the Xara manual now. Thx for the heads-up.

Here's another discussion on Xara Designer:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Inspiration from other apps

Postby matt » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:48 pm

Let us know what you think about Xara.

The information regarding CMYK in the older thread is from 2010 and out of date. These days Xara can work natively in RGB or CMYK.
matt

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Quasado Gravit

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum