Help rename Stagestack/Expressive

Your input for Quasado's FreeHand alternative Gravit (formerly known as Expressive or Stagestack)
quasado

Re: Help rename Stagestack/Expressive

Post by quasado »

Alfred Wobble's Wonderbox of Everything -- I love this name :-)

Alex
quasado

Post by quasado »

Hey guys,

We've came up with some more:

Styleweaver
Handweaver
FreeStyler (as from "Freestyle" idea)
Mindweaver

Note: We're trying to keep away from words including "vector" or "pen" or something as this project will be an allroundtool for dtp, web, ui and press design so we don't want to stick it into a certain category by it's name you know :)

Alex
Snaptophobic

Post by Snaptophobic »

quasado wrote:Styleweaver
Handweaver
FreeStyler (as from "Freestyle" idea)
Mindweaver
I'd be careful with the "weaver" bit. Adobe owns Dreamweaver, and many might assume Expression/Stagestack might be an HTML editor.

I do like FreeStyler though.
My Flickr | Snaptophobic Bloggage
Imagic Design. Good design, no compromise.
"Let my windows be open to receive new ideas but let me also be strong enough not to be blown away by them." - Mahatma Gandhi.
quasado

Post by quasado »

Yes you're right. Freestyler btw is already taken.

Here's some more:

Intricate
Elaborate
mf3

Post by mf3 »

I think the name should not be vector specific as hopefully it will cater for all aspects of design & layout work...
a couple of ideas below...

FreeFlow

Design Stream

Progression

Free Fusion

Flow Fusion

ProCreate

just a few I like.

thanks,

Mark
quasado

Post by quasado »

And here's even more:

bellaborate (Bella + Elaborate)
nicjsmith

Post by nicjsmith »

Don't now about the rest of you, but I would really like to be able to type in the first two/three letters of the new app's name in Spotlight/LaunchBar/whatever, and to have something starting with the first two/three letters of FreeHand would mean that my brain wouldn't need any further reprogramming!

Also, rather than try to associate a name to what the app actually does, why not go for something completely different, memorable and (if I might be bold enough to say so) quirky, like...

Fred

What do you think?
captaindigital

Post by captaindigital »

I've participated in a LOT of naming/branding projects. Here's the thing - getting a .com name is all but impossible on a word found in the dictionary. compound words are easier - foobarsoftware.com or foobardesign.com is easier than foobar.com - but it's still no walk in the park.

I think the best names are NOT literal. Here's a for instance. At Micrografx, we had a product that competed directly with PowerPoint. It was called "Graph Plus," because it came from a graphing/charting point of view. But we expanded the feature set to encompass all that PLUS everything you could do with PowerPoint. We needed a new name. The company held a contest. The guy who won was the CEO, believe it or not, because he thought 'outside the box' for a name that didn't have "Presentation" or "Graphics" in it. Instead of focusing on FEATURES, he thought about BENEFITS. And he came up with a name that just blew me away:

CHARISMA

Think about it. What do you want to project when you give a presentation? Charisma. What's the difference between a presenter and a master at giving presentations? Charisma. It was brilliant. (Sadly, the product got trampled in the marketplace, when Microsoft applied the concept of "but wait...you also get" to create a bundle (MS OFFICE) where you paid for Word and Excel and got PowerPoint essentially for free.

We need a name like that. Something that will stir the soul. Something that won't talk about features, but benefits. Something that will appeal to emotions, and not just feature sets.

I've not yet come up with a name that blows me away in the same way that Micrografx Charisma did. But here are some ideas that might spur some discussion amongst the group:

Rational Design (rationaldesign.com is available for purchase)

OnPoint Design (ditto)

Drawing Board (drawingboarddesign.com is parked, but likely available. You could just call it "Drawing Board" and get a url like "backtothedrawingboard.com" which should be available)

Draw.com and LineArt.com are both parked. For the right $$$ they are probably both available.

Paradigm paradigmdesign.com is available.

Hope this helps.
-----------------------
Brad Kozak
http://www.novelidea.com
saschabierl

Post by saschabierl »

Does anybody like the idea of naming it after the guy with the fineliner spear from earlier Freehand versions? I don´t know if he had a name already, but I like the idea too name the software like a real person (and a good friend): Mr. Vector or John Vector
frederick

Post by frederick »

nicjsmith wrote: Fred

What do you think?
has my vote