Help rename Stagestack/Expressive

Your input for Quasado's FreeHand alternative Gravit (formerly known as Expressive or Stagestack)
alecchin

Re: Help rename Stagestack/Expressive

Post by alecchin »

Hi,

I to am quite confused as to how we got to the list of finalist names for Quasado's new app. The names all seem to have a feel that they came from a developers point of view. I can't believe it looks like it'll be called OpenHand which doesn't seem to have much meaning to it and sounds more like a programming tool then a vector tool. I know it's trying to incorporate open source and freehand into one word but I don't think it works and really doesn't brings across the meaning of this new app. It's a new creative drawing tool for designers and other creatives. The title should bring a feel it's for creatives and for creating, not developers. I thought a name like Creativ-Flo was a nice play on words similar to freehand.I know it's just a title but years down the road, when this app hopefully takes over where freehand left off, when I'm asked what I used to create my work I'd like to be able to say the app I did it in loud and proud and OpenHand really doesn't do it for me.
Tom

Post by Tom »

cyclopsdx wrote:I really appreciate you guys at Quasado trying to please everybody on this forum and it's amazing how responsive and proactive the community is with helping out on the naming convention. Just wondering if we're rushing into the name-change a bit too quickly and should keep this line of discussion open on the forum for a while, so that the product can further define itself whilst in the development phase?

It's absolutely crucial that we have both a killer app and a name that not only pleases us as immediate users but also has the ability to attract other designers/artists/architects, etc. that may be looking for an opportunity to try something other than Illustrator.

What I'm saying is, don't rush it if it's something you're able to spend more time evolving into something really special. I'm quite happy for you to use Stagestack/Expressive as a working title for the time being.

a big +1 to this.
Angee

Post by Angee »

Voting is here, till 11th of Aug. so last chance today:
http://www.freehandforum.org/news.html
cobrien

Post by cobrien »

Hi All,

Hope this is not too late, here is my suggestion, I should also mention I have a strong background in branding so I hope this helps. This name achieves something I feel most of the proposed names lack, which is an immediate emotional connection to the core value of the program, plain and simple it is a drawing and layout program. The quill as we all know symbolizes this in its purist form.

FreeQuill

or

FreeQuill Pro

The name pays homage to the history of layout/typography and design as well as the original name of the program we have all come to love and respect deeply. Might I add it was this very thinking that led to the name of the company who first introduced Freehand "Aldus" named for the Venetian printer Aldus Manutius.

The domain for pro is available www.freequillpro.com

There is only a "Free Quill Press" which is not trademarked and seems to be a non active web page only, not updated since 2007 unfortunately they have the domain Freequill.com I have also performed a trademark search with TESS and had no results so it is trademark ready as well (FreeQuill and or FreeQuill pro)

Regards,
Chris