Why Expressive?

Your input for Quasado's FreeHand alternative Gravit (formerly known as Expressive or Stagestack)
vaa

Why Expressive?

Post by vaa »

What were/are your arguments in favour of Expressive as against other vector-software? How does it compare with other projects? Did you compare, why should this project be favoured? Etc. Looking forward! :-)
FFH Thü
Site Admin

Re: Why Expressive?

Post by FFH Thü »

Well, this is easy answered. There are many vector apps on the market already (on the Mac side they all are cocoa/quartz based) who can not support CMYK color mode. Some promising projects mainly on Linux have the same problem. Inkscape and Skencil are still RGB based, sK1 is a fork of Skencil which will make it prepress ready including CMYK but all are far from the user experience you know from FreeHand.

We have asked some developers of existing apps if they would make it more FreeHand'ish, and nevertheless they are interested in such input, they can only go small steps into our direction.

Expressive is the only project which has specifically a FreeHand experience as goal and aims for this from the very beginning.
ajbis

Post by ajbis »

I'm interested to know why the name Expressive was chosen. It's quite similar to Microsoft's Expression. I'm not sure if that's a question or a statement. I did a quick search and see some like the idea of linking the name to QuarkXpress.
quasado

Post by quasado »

Just a side note: we've started the project under that name already in year 1999 when there was no ms expression at all :-) furthermore we own all trademarks on the name expressive yay! :-)

Alex
Jules V

Post by Jules V »

Was just wondering cos there's also X-pressive.com gaming videos :|
vaa

Post by vaa »

ajbis, I do. QXP (or was it Macromedia?! I'm not sure) used to have a companion a while ago – a pixel-editor with a then rather innovative, and never since duplicated concept (nondestructive post-processing rendering-based image handling, I'd describe it). A similar concept is integrated in Quark. QXP also started to sport vector editing a few versions ago – not ideal for a FH user, but with a familiar feel and simple. So…
FFH Thü
Site Admin

Post by FFH Thü »

Wasn't this Macromedia Fireworks?
prokoudine

Post by prokoudine »

quasado wrote:Just a side note: we've started the project under that name already in year 1999 when there was no ms expression at all :-) furthermore we own all trademarks on the name expressive yay! :-)
Alex, I'm puzzled.

As far as I can tell, quasado.com domain was created in 2010, and goexpressive.com was created in February 2012.

Could you shed some light on that, please?

By "the project" are you referring to Expressive as in "vector graphics editor" or some other project that had this name?

Was it a different company (not Quasado) that worked on project called Expressive in 1999, and you own the copyright for that name?

What happened to the project between 1999 and 2012?

Thanks in advance!
vaa

Post by vaa »

thu: no, not Fireworks. A red box, I remember. Unfortunately I cannot check now.
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

vaa wrote:thu: no, not Fireworks. A red box, I remember. Unfortunately I cannot check now.
Was this the application? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macromedia_xRes

I still have a copy and it is on a red disc.