Your expectations

Your input for Quasado's FreeHand alternative Gravit (formerly known as Expressive or Stagestack)
thorpug

Re: Your expectations

Post by thorpug »

My only immediate request would be that the first release would be a solid performer on both MAC and Windows environments, no matter what stage both operating systems happen to be at on the date of release. That being stable, then we can forge on to surpass Illustrator (again).
cyntheta

Post by cyntheta »

I agree with the others here, that a basic equivalent of the latest Freehand would be a wonderful start. Keep the tools and interface simple and straightforward. Trying to use Illustrator gets bogged down in multiple tools with tiny differences all being required to do what Freehand does in one step with one tool. Also, need to be able to open Freehand files and output to PDF. Thanks!
vaa

Post by vaa »

I hope the new developement will have more success than the FreeHand salvage action. I am skeptikal. As an experienced FreeHand user and probably one of the last FreeHand instructors in Germany, I am ready to offer all my help.

I still urge everybody at FreeFreeHand to forfeit any agreements with Adobe – in order to be able to publicly disclose their terms. The participation, rebate and any promises seem to be worthless. I do not see many FH users accepting them, just the opposite: I think Adobe has lost a few hundred customers.

In light of the Expressive developement the “at least four“ meetings make even less sense than before.

Why was it kept secret so far? Why do you present as a “surprise“? While I appreciate the efforts of the FFH team, this behaviour and strategy is beyond my comprehension…
garethglynn

Post by garethglynn »

OK, it must have been the strapline 'The reinvention of Macromedia's Freehand' on http://www.goexpressive.com that led us down that train of thought.

Anyway, love to help in Expressive's development however I can
philippebuteau

Post by philippebuteau »

Alec u have very well resumed especially your remark about these unecessary various pointers in Illustrator.

Being able to expand symetric pointers from a point using the alt or control key would be great.

I also use FreeHand to make technical drawings with cotation.
I've dreamed of a line which's lenght can be displayed near the line.

The best of the best would be to display the lenght of the line itself (as an absolute cotation system) or display the lenght of the line relative to the grid origin and change the displayed value when you change this origin (as a relative cotation system).
I've asked several times on FreeHand user's forums if it's possible to create such a line using the Postscript® programmation feature but never got any answer.

Finding this in Expressive would be...expressive!
MarkG

Post by MarkG »

My biggest need is for the ability to open my archived FreeHand files.

Thanks,
Mark
yelodogg1

Post by yelodogg1 »

I will try to put some thoughts together highlighting those features I find most useful and pass them along. Just wanted to post to say hello to everyone and say how happy I am that something is in development away from Adobe!! I will put my money where my mouth is!
morrowdesign

Post by morrowdesign »

Why, all the current Freehand tools of course. But, Alec has a strong list started.

Some items I use constantly are:
• Alignment (it's so simple)
• Replace color
• Multiple pages (and duplicate page)
• The gradients, pdf functions, icc profiles need updating

So looking forward to a new and compatible program!
changeofart

Post by changeofart »

Can I say 'ditto' for every comment I've read. Seems we're all on the same page. A good sign, I think.

Just want to add/emphasize that it does need to work with and/or export to Illustrator.

That the program will be ready fairly soon is VERY good news. I've got LOTS of designer friends who will be as thrilled as me. I'll be supporting the project as soon as I hit 'submit'...
vaa

Your expectations

Post by vaa »

I just pledged 100 €. I think it's better invested than in Adobe. Another experiment of that kind in Germany – the Viva Q'XPress alternative (http://software.viva.de/english/products/vivapress/159/) – has silently gained a slice of the market in the past 15 years with an very creative and ingenious concept. It kept a rather low profile in order not to attract the ire of the larger brethren, I guess. Btw, Expressive has quite a good name to make its way as a companion to Quark down the line. Maybe another… surprise some day <g>