[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Your expectations
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:18 pm

Quasado Gravit

Your expectations

Your input for Quasado's FreeHand alternative Gravit (formerly known as Expressive or Stagestack)

Re: Your expectations

Postby gudrunanna » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:26 pm

HI FFH THU
Thank you for your effort trying to free freehand from Adobe.
Sadly it did not work out so we must go on with plan B. I like the idea about Expressive. My expectations and hopes are that this application will be able to open Freehand files. Also that in future you can do works in Expressive with similar tools like in Freehand. Paste inside is important. How color swatches work, punch tool and expand stroke. Also it is important to me that it will be easy to convert or paste Expressive files to Illustrator or InDesign. Because often designers need to deliver there artwork in those applications. I have already donated some money to Quasado. Hope that many people will do so also.
Let make this happen.
gudrunanna

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby enzobort » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:22 pm

Ciao a tutti
Sapete se è possibile avere una versione demo di Exspressive?
Utilizzo FreeHand da 20 anni e potrei verificare cosa non fa Expressive e cosa dovrebbe fare. grazie
enzobort

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FH Addict » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:18 am

I do copy and paste from FreeHand to Indesign to finalize some illustrations using the Indesign FX . As i copy and paste from Illustrator to FreeHand to work faster.
We have to keep a "cross softwares interoperability" (I don't know if it is the correct name), it is always a real strength to be able to jump from one application to another, you feel smarter 8-) and you impress a lot :evil:
FH Addict

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:31 am

FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: I challenge you to donate

Postby mf3 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:26 pm

Its been a while since i posted but... Can I just start by saying a huge thank you to mark, bez and thu for all the hard efforts on all of our behaves in the fight for our cause against the monster. THANKYOU! And even though the outcome wasn't as we might have hoped for, it might be a blessing in disguise .
Let's look to the future. This new hope that is stagestack is something fresh, new and positive we can all create together for the future we all want!
I have made my donation! And at least now I can look forward to a piece of software being developed and created that I will actually enjoy using. Here's to our future! :)
mf3

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby aaffonso » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:37 pm

I'd like StageStack become an illustration tool rather than an effects gallery like Adobe Illustrator.

If Quasado can make an app with this 3 little features they already got me:

- Intuitive bezier pen tool.
- Easy text handling. It's hell to deal with text in Illustrator.
- Color palette / color creating to be smarter than in AI (an old Mac software called Tangerine is a great way to organize colors: http://www.tangerine.net.au/ )

But I'm now working with AI for a whole year and I see some few cool features that could be present in a future vector software:

- Actions
- Blop Brush
- Live Paint Bucket

I suggest Quasado team have a look at Astute Graphics Illustrator Plugins. They are doing a great job trying to make Illustrator usable: astutegraphics.com
aaffonso

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby DBXL Donald » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:39 pm

I am quite sure I will be able to master any new application. As long as I can open old FH files, and as long as Stagestack will 'feel' like working with FH, I will be fine using it. Good luck Quasado!
DBXL Donald

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby AppleFarmer » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:57 pm

A few feature requests from FreeHand:

• better "collect for output" then the one in FreeHand MX. It would be nice if the app would update the links (from the new location, as in InDesign). In FreeHand collect for output only copies the links, but does not update them.

• editing links in external editors (for example PhotoShop, as in FreeHand)

• automatic size change when editing external links (let's say I have a TIFF file in my document @ 30 % and change the size in PhotoShop. I want the size to automatically change to 100 % and update.

• support for Unicode fonts. If I import cyrillic texts to FreeHand, they have to be converted and only some fonts work

• drop shadows that WORK in print

• support for transparent PSD-files (or transparent TIFF) that WORK in print

Good luck to you guys!

Kim Mäkynen
Vaasa, Finland
AppleFarmer

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby matt » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:06 pm

I'm passenger on a long road trip and I've been spending my time reading large portions of the manuals for both Freehand MX and Xara Designer Pro X. :)

Xara (originally released in 1991, a few years after Aldus Freehand, as ArtWorks on the Acorn Archimedes computer) is the app I switched to when it was no longer feasible for me to use Freehand. It's a Windows app, abd whilst I'd love a native Mac OS X version, it works well in VMware Fusion.

Reading both manuals has proved a point I have long suspected. Freehand isn't the best at everything. In a lot of use cases Xara trumps it, but of course not all. Freehand still has better colour swatch handling, arguably better text handling and more.

This realisation has changed my expectations of what I'd like to see in any serious new contender:
- Native Mac OS X support (not a cross platform port)
- Xara style object drawing, selection and handling support
- Freehand style colour swatch support, text handling
- Open Freehand, Xara, EPS file formats

I recommend anybody who is interested read the Drawing, Selecting and Handling sections of the Xara manual. http://downloads.xara.com/support/version7/dp7/dp7.pdf

The manuals for Freehand and Xara could be considered Technical Specification documents for these apps. I'd be interested to read the Technical Specs for Expressive/StageStack to see how what the developers are building shapes up to Freehand and Xara. Will this document be made public?
matt

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby gormur » Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:44 am

gormur

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Previous

Return to Quasado Gravit

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel