[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - About this forum
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:55 pm

Quasado Gravit

About this forum

Your input for Quasado's FreeHand alternative Gravit (formerly known as Expressive or Stagestack)

About this forum

Postby FFH Thü » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:14 pm

Since 2011 our organisation is in contact with Quasado to give input for their development of a FreeHand like vector application called "Stagestack" (formerly known as "Expressive"). It is still in an early development status but shows promising features like FreeHand-like path tool, CMYK color mode support, multipage layouts, with much more to come.

Quasado, a business software developer in Germany, uses spare time to work on this project. Now we are asked to support the development financially, so that more programmers can work on Expressive and make it advance quicker.

So please, members and FreeHand users, become backers/donators, also your input is welcome here in the forum.

For more informations visit:
http://www.quasado.com/
http://www.stagestack.com
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: About this forum

Postby cyclopsdx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:54 am

This looks extremely promising and, the fact that it's a privately-run venture, means that cross-compatibility shouldn't be an issue as there are other interests at heart than just corporate greed.

In terms of feedback? From my perspective, it just needs to do what FreeHand does, in the same way and at the same speed - simple as that. As long as production PDF exports and flexibility of opening old FH files is updated, I'll be a happy man.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

I guess the only issue Quasado have is whether they're allowed to name Tools and Actions exactly what they were in FH and whether they're able to exactly emulate the specific tool actions. Is this something they're able to do?

I'd love to see some of the team stopping by the forum every now and then to update us. In the meantime, I'm heading over to the site to donate. Good luck.
Eddie Deighton

cyclopsdx

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FH Addict » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:40 pm

I immediately gave my contribution when I discovered the Expressive Project two months ago. I felt THIS software was finally THE solution for FreeHanders. Then I read this project started 2,5 years ago… that's very long. So, if Quasado is ready to give a strong and fast effort into the developpment of Expressive, I will give again. no doubt ;)
FH Addict

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Head » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:54 am

Hi Thü, Mark, Bez,

Just a thought, but are there likely to be any conflicts of interest with regard to what can be discussed here on the Quasado Expressive thread, bearing in mind that, as a part of the settlement, Adobe have invited FreeFreeHand to discuss ways in which AI might be developed to make it more ‘FreeHand-like’ in the future?

Seems like we could easily put you all on the spot here if we're not careful.

All the best,

Nigel
Head

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Jules V » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Found it, fab news, look forward to developments and hope the same DTP flexibility is included, it's the seamless working between the illustration and the DTP keeps the workflow-ing :) happy days
Jules V

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:20 pm

FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Ralph » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:30 pm

Am delighted to discover that Freehand has a chance of being reborn. This indeed is great news following the dismal news that Adobe had all but sunk Freehand.

I am retired now so do very little drawing, but I still have a collection of Freehand files and had planned hanging onto an Apple computer that would remain compatible... I'm heartened to view all the videos from Quasado that show how far initial development has come along. Realistically though, it's a huge undertaking to create software as good as the original, given that Freehand was developed for many years to get where it did.

But even if the most important features could be recreated (which in my view are the basic editing and path manipulation tools, grouping, subediting within groups, the keyboard shortcuts for tool switching etc. etc.).

Of course there are so many features that Freehand added over the years, but to make it simple, if this new program could be what Freehand was when it was version 7, I think that achievement would give this new program enough impetus and features to ensure its likely success.

Ralph
Ralph

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby BrianW » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:26 pm

Glad to hear that the quest for a suitable replacement is progressing. One thing about FH that I used to value was that it was possible to use it as a complete DTP layout tool, with only Photoshop needed for bitmaps. I would create multi-page booklets with heavy graphics easily, ready imposed for printing. And I see no program as good as FH for creating lettering and fonts. It is only lacking in effects such as greyscale shadows. What I cannot get away with is the Adobe drawing tools, so for me the main thing is to get set up with the Bézier tools and general text capabilities.
BrianW

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Buttercup1993 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:17 pm

Is this going to be commercial software or open source software? Just curious.
Buttercup1993

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby mixr » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:02 pm

The future looks bright again!
Good luck!
mixr

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Next

Return to Quasado Gravit