[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Freehand MX on windows....
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:45 am

FreeHand support

Freehand MX on windows....

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Freehand MX on windows....

Postby omie12 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:48 pm

omie12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Freehand MX on windows....

Postby FFH Mark » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:22 pm

All I have read says Windows 7 and FreeHand work fine. This was discussed on the Adobe forums over the years and no problems as such.

As you noted, most here are Mac users so much of the angst is because of changes to Apple's newer OS-X removing the compatibility mode (Rosetta) that allowed older apps like FreeHand to work. Microsoft has kept this backwards compatibility intact in newer versions of its OS.

Yes, running FreeHand MX in a Windows environment within OSX is doable but it is more about having a transparent workflow between the two running OS's. Copy/paste and file exchange have to be considered. And this is only a hedge as time goes on without a modern version of FreeHand available.

That said, Windows FreeHand users are presently more self-sufficient with compatability issues and you may as well stay with a PC. But keep watching as this issue of compatibility is addressed.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby omie12 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Thank you for your response!
omie12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby omie12 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:58 am

Hi, it's me again. :P

My PC is now 8 yrs old and I'm about to spring for a new PC with windows 7 Pro so that I can continue using my FH MX.
I already read elsewhere about the PDF printing issue and a couple of solutions. Hopefully FH will install and run on my new pc computer. Should I count on being able to run FH directly in win7, or will I have to run it while in XP mode?

My main question though is this-
(and this may seem like a dumb question but I'm hoping to order my computer next week and want to be sure)...

Does the particular Intel processor type matter?
As long as it's an Intel processor, does it matter to FH MX whether it's an Intel "3rd generation Core" i3, i5, or i7, ....or to run FHMX does it have to be an older "Pentium dual-core 3.1 GHz" processor?

...as long as it's an Intel, can the new processor be one of the 3rd generation Intel Core (i3, i5, or i7) processors? If so, that would be awesome for me.
I don't think I can return/exchange the processor once it's ordered in the custom build and delivered.

Maybe this question is dopey, but this is the only place where there might be someone who can actually tell me before I take the leap and order a new system. I totally depend on FHMX for my work!

I'm feeling safe about ordering win7 now, but does the Intel processor type matter too? :?:

THANK YOU!!
omie12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby omie12 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:32 am

...Anyone?
omie12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Pixero » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:18 pm

I have a i7 with Windows 7 64 bit and Freehand MX runs fine. As said, PDF might be a problem but I'm using the free PDF Creator and it works great.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
Pixero

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby omie12 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:41 pm

Pixero, thank you so much! My worries are less now when ordering my new PC next week. :)
omie12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Windows 8??

Postby Cheryllion » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:35 pm

So the big question -- has anyone upgraded to Windows 8, and if so, does Freehand MX still work?
Cheryllion

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby omie12 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:47 pm

I can't answer your question, since I am about to go from windows XP to win 7, but.... considering that win 8 is supposed to be a complete overhaul of the windows operating system, I would have serious doubts as to whether FH would work on it. But I too will be interested in seeing someone test that.
Some folks are thinking win8 is going to be about as 'popular' for work PCs as Vista was. PC work users I talk to seem to really love their win7, so I think 7 will be around for a long time to come.
omie12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby omie12 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:22 am

I started this thread in 2012 when i was moving from a windows XP desktop to a windows 7 desktop. FH made that jump just fine.
It's now 8 years later, 2020. I have now moved from my windows 7 desktop to a new windows 10 laptop and I wanted to post an UPDATE here in case it is of use to anyone wandering along here:

It's now Sept 27 2020. Sept last year (2019) I bought a Dell XPS 13" laptop with windows 10 Home, and hooked to it a dock and into the dock is plugged a large monitor, also a new Wacom pen and tablet. Also have a Surface style Microsoft bluetoooh keyboard to use when I want a larger keyboard with a numbers pad etc.
FreeHand MX works GREAT on windows 10! It's working even better than it did for eight years on my windows 7 desktop.
So, if you want to run Freehand 11 on a BRAND NEW computer you could use the windows FH version and run it on a win10 'pro' or 'home' OS. This is also handy to know if you just need to open older FH files and can't keep an ancient Mac with SnowLeopard around anymore.
But... I'm doing ALL my daily work on FH now on my sweet little Dell XPS 13" laptop. It's running like a CHAMP for me and of course FH is free. I hoping to keep FH MX going for another 4 or 5 years until I retire.
FreeHand forever! :D
omie12

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum