Freehand MX on windows....

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
omie12

Freehand MX on windows....

Post by omie12 »

So, I realize 85% of FH users are on Mac. But I'm on a 7+ yr old Windows WP computer, and FH 11 is working fine.

I will really need to get a new computer soon, and I read on the main FH.org homepage the following:

We know FreeHand is working fine in Windows Vista and 7, and up to Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (after first installing Rosetta, and maybe following Adobes workaround). Unfortunately since Apple has decided to exclude Rosetta from Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, FreeHand does not run any more on the newest versions of Apples operating system. This is especially a problem for owners of new Macs like the mid-2011 MacMini which are forced to go with Lion.

Here's my question(s):
where can I find this info about FH11 working on windows 7? Where is the info about windows 7 and MacMinis to be found from the above paragraph? I can't find any threads here about those two subjects, and I don't 'do' Facebook.

Can I safely buy a new mac and run virtual Windows 7, and then run my windows FH11 on it?
Could I (alternatively) buy a new PC with windows 7 and run my FH11 on it?

I was also thinking of getting a macmini and running my windows version of FH11 on it through virtual windows XP or 7. But now I read that it might not work on some Macminis..?
If it's possible, are people actually doing that?- where is more info on this to be found?

Maybe I'm clueless, but- If FH MX 'works fine' on windows 7, why aren't people buying new Windows 7 computers and dedicating them solely to running FH MX on it? At least with a new computer you'd have decent RAM and disc space.
Thanks for any explanations at all that can clear up my confusions. I really appreciate help in figuring out what computer to get next to keep running FH MX. (I have both windows and Mac FH11, but do all my work on the windows FH.)

THANK YOU!!
FFH Mark

Re: Freehand MX on windows....

Post by FFH Mark »

All I have read says Windows 7 and FreeHand work fine. This was discussed on the Adobe forums over the years and no problems as such.
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/512717

As you noted, most here are Mac users so much of the angst is because of changes to Apple's newer OS-X removing the compatibility mode (Rosetta) that allowed older apps like FreeHand to work. Microsoft has kept this backwards compatibility intact in newer versions of its OS.

Yes, running FreeHand MX in a Windows environment within OSX is doable but it is more about having a transparent workflow between the two running OS's. Copy/paste and file exchange have to be considered. And this is only a hedge as time goes on without a modern version of FreeHand available.

That said, Windows FreeHand users are presently more self-sufficient with compatability issues and you may as well stay with a PC. But keep watching as this issue of compatibility is addressed.
omie12

Post by omie12 »

Thank you for your response!
omie12

Post by omie12 »

Hi, it's me again. :P

My PC is now 8 yrs old and I'm about to spring for a new PC with windows 7 Pro so that I can continue using my FH MX.
I already read elsewhere about the PDF printing issue and a couple of solutions. Hopefully FH will install and run on my new pc computer. Should I count on being able to run FH directly in win7, or will I have to run it while in XP mode?

My main question though is this-
(and this may seem like a dumb question but I'm hoping to order my computer next week and want to be sure)...

Does the particular Intel processor type matter?
As long as it's an Intel processor, does it matter to FH MX whether it's an Intel "3rd generation Core" i3, i5, or i7, ....or to run FHMX does it have to be an older "Pentium dual-core 3.1 GHz" processor?

...as long as it's an Intel, can the new processor be one of the 3rd generation Intel Core (i3, i5, or i7) processors? If so, that would be awesome for me.
I don't think I can return/exchange the processor once it's ordered in the custom build and delivered.

Maybe this question is dopey, but this is the only place where there might be someone who can actually tell me before I take the leap and order a new system. I totally depend on FHMX for my work!

I'm feeling safe about ordering win7 now, but does the Intel processor type matter too? :?:

THANK YOU!!
omie12

Post by omie12 »

...Anyone?
Pixero

Post by Pixero »

I have a i7 with Windows 7 64 bit and Freehand MX runs fine. As said, PDF might be a problem but I'm using the free PDF Creator and it works great.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/
omie12

Post by omie12 »

Pixero, thank you so much! My worries are less now when ordering my new PC next week. :)
Cheryllion

Windows 8??

Post by Cheryllion »

So the big question -- has anyone upgraded to Windows 8, and if so, does Freehand MX still work?
omie12

Post by omie12 »

I can't answer your question, since I am about to go from windows XP to win 7, but.... considering that win 8 is supposed to be a complete overhaul of the windows operating system, I would have serious doubts as to whether FH would work on it. But I too will be interested in seeing someone test that.
Some folks are thinking win8 is going to be about as 'popular' for work PCs as Vista was. PC work users I talk to seem to really love their win7, so I think 7 will be around for a long time to come.
omie12

Post by omie12 »

I started this thread in 2012 when i was moving from a windows XP desktop to a windows 7 desktop. FH made that jump just fine.
It's now 8 years later, 2020. I have now moved from my windows 7 desktop to a new windows 10 laptop and I wanted to post an UPDATE here in case it is of use to anyone wandering along here:

It's now Sept 27 2020. Sept last year (2019) I bought a Dell XPS 13" laptop with windows 10 Home, and hooked to it a dock and into the dock is plugged a large monitor, also a new Wacom pen and tablet. Also have a Surface style Microsoft bluetoooh keyboard to use when I want a larger keyboard with a numbers pad etc.
FreeHand MX works GREAT on windows 10! It's working even better than it did for eight years on my windows 7 desktop.
So, if you want to run Freehand 11 on a BRAND NEW computer you could use the windows FH version and run it on a win10 'pro' or 'home' OS. This is also handy to know if you just need to open older FH files and can't keep an ancient Mac with SnowLeopard around anymore.
But... I'm doing ALL my daily work on FH now on my sweet little Dell XPS 13" laptop. It's running like a CHAMP for me and of course FH is free. I hoping to keep FH MX going for another 4 or 5 years until I retire.
FreeHand forever! :D