Grid and Snap to grid - Alinear a la retícula

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
krollian

Grid and Snap to grid - Alinear a la retícula

Post by krollian »

Hi.
I would like to know if it is possible in Mac OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard to be able to really edit the grid and snap to it. In my case is not possible. I use the menuses to do that, but I can not to move the elements in 1 mm. for example.

I have to use the Inspector Info, because moving by mouse the elements move from 20 to 24,4563.

Thanks for your time...

----------

Now in plain Spanish:

En Mac OS 10.6 - Snow Leopard es imposible ajustar a la cuadrícula y mover los elementos en incrementos de 1 mm. Por ejemplo.

A pesar de ajustar los parámetros en los menús, finalmente se acaban situando los elementos usando el ratón con decimales.

La única manera de evitarlo es usar la paleta de información y es incómodo.

Gracias por vuestro tiempo.
Saludos desde Bilbao.
Working in prepress since 1992 in Macs in Spain. Diseñador Gráfico trabajando con Macs desde 1992 en España
art101

Re: Grid and Snap to grid - Alinear a la retícula

Post by art101 »

For what it's worth, "snap to grid" hasn't worked for some time with FH 11.0.2 in OS X 10.5.8 on my Mac. However, "snap to point" and "snap to object" work fine. So, I built a series of grids in various measurements as separate FH files. I paste them in lower layers and snap to them... then delete the grid layers before output. I turn the grid layers off or on as needed if they get in the way of seeing the artwork clearly. Hope this makes sense -- and hope it helps.
"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

Well, I have lost my grid function altogether in FH 11.0.2 in OS X 10.5.8 dual G5. Actually I don't recall when I lost it since haven't used grids in a while but selecting View>Grid>Show does nothing.
Andy, did you make your own file grids because you also don't have FH's grids showing up?
or because of the lost "snap to" function?

— Mark
art101

Post by art101 »

Hi Mark... same here; grids don't show up at all when enabled. As I recall, this happened way back when I switched from OS X 10.3x to the first 10.4. I'd like to go ahead and upgrade to the latest OS X but fear loosing FH. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" - heh. The 'perspective grid' does work, by the way.
Andreagam

Post by Andreagam »

I have two copies of FreeHand working on two different Macs (at work and at home) and what's strange is that one is stuck on "snap to grid" and on the other I cannot switch the grid on. Seems something freezed in the preference file, maybe someone can give some hint?
art101

Post by art101 »

Very interesting, Andreagam... I just opened several old FH10 and 11 files and notice the same thing... some files (which had 'snap to grid' turned on) are "stuck" with that choice, while others (where 'snap to grid' was never used) exhibit the exact behavior you describe. Tossing and rebuilding the FH Preference file doesn't appear to correct it. I'll play around with this new info when I have a sec and post here if I discover any clues or tips.

Now then... If only Adobe would do the ethical thing and upgrade/support a product they sell, we probably wouldn't have to mess around with this annoyance. Heh.
"Art, like morality, consists of drawing the line somewhere."