Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:04 am

FreeHand support

FreeHand mapping question

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

FreeHand mapping question

Postby Handsfree » Mon May 04, 2020 4:41 pm

This is a bit off topic but I understand that FreeHand is used is used by choice of keen mappers for drawing up terrain/ locations on Maps. I have a request from a client who wants me to map an underground tunnel and use layers to switch on and off cables and so forth in PDF. I can do that. But the complexity of the 'other' features they want in the map means that I have to create a 'floating' splat they can move over the PDF. I have since learnt that FreeHAnd can only export upto PDF 1.4, But I need PDF v1.5 (Acrobat 6) to import Layers into a PDF. A fiddle but doable. But the floating splat is going to be tricky. Mark I think this is for you - have you any suggestions to make on this? Is it possible and has anyone tried this kind of project before I get in too deep?
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand mapping question

Postby Handsfree » Mon May 18, 2020 5:08 pm

Well, I solved it and it was quite easy if your familiar with FreeHand layers (which I use all the time). Exporting from FreeHand is restricted to pdf v1.4 (ok for most printing jobs) but for layers you have to use pdf v1.5 upwards. So that means you have to use (the dreaded) Adobe CS2 illustrator to open and save as a higher version (in my case 1.6) which gives you the option to save the 'layers' in the PDF. You can try it out using Acrobat Pro (that unfortunately is the only way to 'drag' a graphic across the screen like this. One items is movable, the others not! I just had to figure out how to do this easily. And it is easy.

Here is my example to play with: shorturl.at/bnOV6
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand mapping question

Postby FFH Mark » Thu May 28, 2020 6:32 pm

I missed this late but your description makes sense. Presently, I have a different approach I'm using and that is to send my FreeHand-created file over to Affinity Designer to produce a PDF. I was using Illustrator CS4 to open my FreeHand file and output to PDF. There may be some differences so I keep both options open.
FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum