Vector formats - export

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
the_chimp

Vector formats - export

Post by the_chimp »

I will receive a FreeHand file with multiple vectors stored within.
My task is to export these vectors in a format, so that it can be used within GIS software (ArcGIS). For ArcGIS possible formats include DFX, DWF, CSV, SHP, GML, KML, JSON, or Ascii, just to name a few.

What is the typical format, vectors are stored within FreeHand?
Could you briefly explain how to export vectors and which formats are possible?

Thanks a lot! :)
Herbert

Re: Vector formats - export

Post by Herbert »

Freehand does not support any of those file formats directly.

Workaround 1:
open the file in question in Freehand, and save as a Windows Enhanced Meta file. Open the file in PhotoLine (www.pl32.com) or InkScape, and save as a DXF file for import into ArcGIS.
You may have to re-organize layers and groups in PhotoLine/InkScape before doing so.

Workaround 2:
Open the file in question in Freehand. Export as Illustrator (test the various version for best result).
Open the file in Illustrator or InkScape, and export as DXF (or DWG in Illustrator).
You may have to re-organize layers and groups in Illustrator/InkScape before exporting.

Workaround 3:
Open the file in question in Freehand, and export as EPS. Open in any vector application that supports EPS (PhotoLine, Illustrator,InkScape, etc.) and export to DXF.
the_chimp

Post by the_chimp »

Thanks a lot!
Rachel2893

Post by Rachel2893 »

Workaround 3 does not seem to work for me. I do not know why, but I can't export it to the DXF.

Thanks for the other solutions!
Currently I am working with eFax team!