Help! Need advice for old Freehand files.

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
Golive1

Help! Need advice for old Freehand files.

Post by Golive1 »

I have old Freehand 8 files from the late 90's that I need to open that ran on a Powerbook G4 OS9. Freehand 8 is on that computer. The problem is the computer isn't working and I can't find the Freehand 8 cd. I do have the license number though (not sure if that is helpful). In trying to open my many Freehand files, I just bought a 2007 iMac 20" 4G with the goal of installing Freehand and eventually learning AI. I had Snow Leopard installed on it thinking the older OS will be more suitable for Freehand programs. I think AI CS4 will open older Freehand files, is this correct? But, I really enjoyed Freehand and would like to revisit the program to make changes on my old files. So, should I keep Snow Leopard? Or should I go to a newer OS? Does anyone know where I can buy Freehand? I don't think my old license number will be helpful at all, is this correct? Assuming Freehand is available for purchase, which Freehand should I buy? Any advice is greatly appreciated. What a shame that Freehand is obsolete, I really enjoyed using it 15-20 yrs ago.
FFH Mark

Re: Help! Need advice for old Freehand files.

Post by FFH Mark »

Hey Golive1, I think you are good to go straight to FreeHandMX to open your FH8 files. Go to our home page and download a Trial version. Install it on your Snow Leopard iMac. That is the latest OSX to still open FreeHand. Since you can't buy FHMX anymore, you will need a universal serial number since Adobe removed online registration for personal #s. Here: https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/pol ... error.html

That should do it but if you notice that FreeHand doesn't open, it bounces and quits, then you need to also get the Adobe Registration patch here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/504/cpsid_5046 ... ration.zip

Good luck and ask again if any problems.