Transparency in Freehand 9

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
Scorponok

Transparency in Freehand 9

Post by Scorponok »

Hi forum,

So glad I found you guys! I did not know there are still some of us around. :)

My question today has to do with Freehand 9's transparency. I select a vector object, press the transparency button under Xtra Operations, and a dialog box comes up with a slider to set the amount from 0 to 100. I set it to 50, press OK, then...

...nothing! The object does not go 50% transparent. I'm using black as my color and it should be a bit greyed out and being able to see the vectors on the other side. What am I doing wrong? It doesn't have anything to do with the view as I'm in Preview mode and I've switched between all the views and nothing works. Has anyone here gotten transparency to work?
FFH Mark

Re: Transparency in Freehand 9

Post by FFH Mark »

I haven't used FreeHand 9 since 2000 so I pulled out the manual to see what the Transparency Xtra did:
  • Create a new path from the area common to two or more closed paths containing basic fills. Using the color information from the fills of the original paths, an intermediate color giving the appearance of transparency is created. To make the topmost path appear more transparent, enter a value greater than 50 in the Transparency dialog box. Values less than 50 make the topmost object appear more opaque.
Transparency effect is rolled into 2004's FHMX so maybe it has improved since FH9. Is this screenshot more what you were thinking? If so, then moving up to MX is a possible solution otherwise someone else on the forum may have better understanding of FH9 than I do.
fhmx-transparency.jpg
fhmx-transparency.jpg (23.55 KiB) Viewed 15823 times
Scorponok

Post by Scorponok »

Hmm, ok thanks Mark! I guess it isn't true transparency, but just a rendering.
Bertrude

Post by Bertrude »

You might want to try using the 'Lens' fill option. It should achieve the effect you're describing, certainly with vector shapes.

I've attached a screen shot of 3 objects (In FHMX). Each has a 50% lens fill.
Screen shot 2015-10-16 at 14.28.37.png
Screen shot 2015-10-16 at 14.28.37.png (68.86 KiB) Viewed 15808 times