[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Freehand 11.02 und Umlaute
Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:33 am

FreeHand support

Freehand 11.02 und Umlaute

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.

Freehand 11.02 und Umlaute

Postby MichaelS » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:44 pm

MichaelS

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Freehand 11.02 und Umlaute

Postby FFH Mark » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:12 pm

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby MichaelS » Sat Oct 17, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Mark,
first it's funny that after 2 month someone is answering... I already thought that none is interested in a solution :-)
From my side there was no really interest to write this Applescript because I've added the "logic" in one of my extras which will export just a whole bunch of pages at one time.

In the mean time I've experienced that I shouldn't apply the above fix for Windings. And perhaps all other fonts which have a "custom" character mapping. Because I'm not the Postscript guru I really don't know what the fix above will do (I've my thoughts but that doesn't really matter). I can only say that it worked for me with the Files I had to export.

So first we need someone who can explain what is going wrong in FH MX 11.02 and how it should fixed in a good manor.
And second we don't find this guy we need a whole bunch of files which we can compare so it becomes more clear which fonts go wrong.

For me, I'm currently working with MX11.02 with 10.6.8 in an VM-Ware image. Starting with FontagentPro and not getting all fonts everytime, I'm currently throwing all fonts in my users font folder which gave me the best results. And if some font doesn't appear I use the font finagler and restart the VM which is really fast.

For the Export itself my Workflow ist the following:
- Export as EPS without including fonts (by my extra which will fix the font problem). Others have to use the not existing Applescript or try it manually with Textedit)
- use Adobe Distiller 8 in the VM to generate a PDF
- transfer the PDF for further use to the Yosemite side of my Mac

So far, if anyone has questions or an idea how to do it better: just write :-)
MichaelS

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Handsfree » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:27 am

Quite a common problem I think for those that deal with embedded texts for EPS into another program (like Quark). I have this problem a lot since (in my own book production) all my own art illustrations are being done in Freehand. The workaround for me is to use PDF (rather than EPS which occasionally fails to embed some font in eps. I I find some fancy 'headline' fonts just don't want to be embedded (even in a PDF) so I convert to outline, same the umlaute symbols or odd letter.

So I think it is the actual font more than FreeHand ignoring it. As an example none (or any) of the standard Apple system 'symbols' are embedded in output PDF or EPS (so I always convert those to outline after final edit). I have the exact same problem when trying to compose a complex mathematical formula - only to find half of it missing when I do the PDF! I also double-check my output in Apple 'ColorSync' and 're-save' that as PDF/X-3 (for postscript print) and checking any RGB to CMYK 'colour shifts' as well 'transparency issues' that do occur in any conversion to PDF/X-3. This also usually shows up any missing characters I may have missed. I also don't use emulation (Tiger 10.4) and use Extensive Suitcase Fusion to check fonts or repair fonts that fail to show up.

Extensis FontDoctor usually fixes and converts truetype to type 1 (which I prefer) over OpenType. Opentype can cause problems sometimes but then not all 'truetype' fonts are well constructed either. I have noticed that some keyboard characters (that I know are like 'Umlaute' or french 'accents' that work as shortcuts in other programs) somehow get ignored in FreeHand. So I usually have to 'cut and paste' them in from a wordprocessor. Its odd but that's the fun of 'FreeHand' for you - and I would not wish to use any other program.

That must make me a bit of a dinosaur but the workarounds are really no hardship compared to its advantages of speed and practicality.
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum