| need help opening a corrupted freehsnd mx file? |

If you need help with FreeHand or have Tips to share, here is your solution or ask for one.
AndrewDAttiliis

| need help opening a corrupted freehsnd mx file? |

Post by AndrewDAttiliis »

| it was accidentally dragged into a folder's title bar where the code seems to have been corrupted | according to size indicator, content still exists | am looking for advice or to purchase help | Thanks, andy attiliis
FFH Mark

Re: | need help opening a corrupted freehsnd mx file? |

Post by FFH Mark »

You didn't say what is your version of FreeHand or if you are on a Mac or Windows.

What happens when you try to open the file from within FreeHand ?(not dragging it to the FH icon.)
AndrewDAttiliis

| hi Mark |

| on a mac in FHmx11 | have not tried dragging to icon | from within, i get the same message |
| more—
| file size seems to be same as before, 25.1 mb |
| not a programmer, but on my own opened file in text edit, saved as unicode, then opened in Freehand mx to see a lot of what looks to me to be raw code | 38.4 mb worth |
| also have a saved version of the file dated 4/16/15 which may be useful for comparison | have actually only lost the last 15% | at first glance, it looks about the same |
| am hoping someone will know what script has been lost so my mac can once again open the file |
| or if tedious labor is needed i could compensate for the expert directions and maybe do work myself |

| Thanks |
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

A couple of things I would do:
- Rename the file with the extension .fh11 and see if that works
- Create a new FreeHand document and use "import" command to bring your file in.
- Try other extensions like .eps, .fh10, .ai
- See if it will open in Illustrator CS5 or earlier, resave as Illustrator 8 and open that in FreeHand.
AndrewDAttiliis

| Thanks, Mark |
| tried all you mentioned with no luck so far |
| do you think it is a Good sign that the code on older file that works and that on the recent file that won't open looks very much the same? |
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

AndrewDAttiliis wrote:| Thanks, Mark |
| tried all you mentioned with no luck so far |
| do you think it is a Good sign that the code on older file that works and that on the recent file that won't open looks very much the same? |
I converted a lot of old FreeHand files last year and some opened and some didn't. So I had to look at the raw code to see what version of FreeHand was used and once I found out, I knew what version was needed. I would guess that if the code matches, that is good.

If you want to put your file up on dropbox or another server, I could look at it and see if it opens for me.
AndrewDAttiliis

| Thanks again! | don't know what i've done to deserve your help but am very grateful |

| anyway, just got started again after an all nighter during which time i made a little progress looking at the code | maybe like what you are talking about |

| will finish up that direction | if not successful, will definitely send file from lockbox.com | fingers crossed |
Jules V

Post by Jules V »

Sometimes I can trick them to open by adding .FH8 at the end of the file name? Go to info and in the drop down menu choose FHMx? Good luck :-)