[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Illustrator CS7 Requests
Change font size
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:42 pm

Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Illustrator CS7 Requests

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.

Illustrator CS7 Requests

Postby FFH Mark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:42 am

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Illustrator CS7 Requests

Postby FFH Mark » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:44 am

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Emo Risaliti » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for the good news. Where can I find the plug in?
Emo Risaliti

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:06 pm

Sorry, that was a request for the plugin to be reinstated, not an announcement. I fixed my post to make sense. :shock:
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Uli » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm

- open submenus with right mouse clicks
- the pathfinder should not make groups automatically
- gradients should work in full tone colors, not CMYK only
- point text align should work like in FH
- stop the stupid questions while every save files or paste objects
- text on path please like in FH (text with a return on a circle put the text top and bottom)
- easier party editing (one tool, not five), deleting points without killing the whole path

.... to be continued ....
Uli

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Pixero » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:43 am

Paste inside and selections working as in freehand.
Also the preview of the curve beeing drawn before you click the next point as in freehand.
Selected groups not showing all vertices as selected.
Pixero

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby ThePixelDoc » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:32 pm

- open submenus with right mouse clicks

Illustrator does this already. What other sub-menus would you like?

- the pathfinder should not make groups automatically

It doesn't now. You need to also try "Alt-Clicking" in the Pathfinder control panel for "live path bezier functions". Powerful stuff!

- gradients should work in full tone colors, not CMYK only

They do already. Although there is a bug with CS6 because it doesn't work with gradients on a path correctly. Normal shapes with any multiple of PMS, HKS or Custom Spot color view and separate correctly.

- point text align should work like in FH

It does already. What do you mean exactly?

- stop the stupid questions while every save files or paste objects

No warnings? That could open up a whole new can of worms and problems. You may turn them off (sometimes), or change your settings (like incompatible color profiles for instance).

- text on path please like in FH (text with a return on a circle put the text top and bottom)

Yes! Or at least a Toggle-switch to do this

- easier path (I assume you meant this, not "party") editing (one tool, not five), deleting points without killing the whole path.

Unfortunately or fortunately, however you see it, Astute Graphics has a wonderful set of plug-ins for Illustrator that offer this (among many other) capabilities; VectorDraw is indispensable IMO. There would be those that would say that AI should have these capabilities included. I would agree, but I don't think it's going to go over well telling Adobe they should poop on one of their most successful 3rd Party developers.

- Paste Inside is already in Illustrator;
although granted, it doesn't work the same way and is called "Paint Inside". It could be suggested to Adobe to make it easier to find and use. I use an Action to do PI in CS5 every day, which at the moment is broken with CS6, because the part of the Action to choose the Drawing Mode (Normal, Behind or Inside) doesn't work. Adobe "could" fix this easily.

- Hiding control points after grouping;
YES! It has been requested for years now. It is LONG overdue!

- Clipping masks (added)
should retain their line and fill settings(!) after applying the clipping AND should be able to be selectable by simply clicking on their Fill color, rather than only the path. I still consider that a bug... as well as the next point...

- Lines should be selectable by clicking anywhere on it's width, rather than only on the path. No matter how thick your line weight, you still can not select it "visually" without first giving it the "outline path" effect. I also have a script to do this, but still... it should be visual.

- It goes without saying: Illustrator MUST be able to open "legacy" Freehand files...PERIOD.

NOTE: whatever you do Mark... do NOT go into the Adobe negotiations with a list that hasn't been verified as "not working and/or not enough like Freehand". I would suggest taking a hard look at what Astute Graphics has achieved as well. Even though they are plug-ins, don't be surprised if Adobe backs up their approach and tools as a trusted partner/developer.

AG also knows the AI SDK inside and out, so even they might have some suggestions, or at least be able to tell you what is and isn't possible...FIRST.

Another person I would suggest to go over your list is Monika Gause (look her up on the Adobe Forums).

AGAIN: please don't go in with suggestions that are due to people not knowing Illustrator well enough. I will be the first to agree that AI should be easier to learn and use... but I don't think you'll get anywhere with that strategy or assessment hanging over the discussions.

Most of all: Good luck!
ThePixelDoc

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Excellent, P.D. fully agree.
Much of what you have here is on our agenda and we won't go into meetings ignorant of AI and its workings. The Astute Graphics partnership is a concern (for me) as it could be passed off as a solution and but doesn't it also add more panels and tools to an already busy interface?

FreeHand is intuitive and planned for creative flow and that is the gripe about Illustrator from former FH users... unintuitive and a hodge-podge of disconnected tools. As you said, "Paste Inside" function is lost in the Paint Inside tools selection when It could be more apparent for FH-users, say, nearer clipping mask cmd.

When I look through the Ai forums, the same damn questions are asked about how to accomplish a set of tasks. That comes from new users (as well as FH/Corel users) and the forum experts often scratch their heads at why relatively easy tasks aren't made more obvious to avoid these repeated questions. I know the Illustrator team knows this is a problem... they have said this publicly. I see this more as the same problem Macromedia faced in 2000 when the FH team had to bring FreeHand into the future by revamping the UI with the Object Inspector. The FreeHand 10 users were pissed! Some refused to support FHMX because of this drastic change to all the panels into one contextual panel. It was a brilliant change but took time to get used to and I still know a few designers who never moved beyond FH10 because of this "heresy" to the original interface.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby mf3 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:54 am

Hello all...
what I think must be essential additions...

• Paste inside which works and has editing capabilities (not clipping masks or draw inside)

• Find & Replace colour (not find similar)

• An option to TURN OFF the contact sensitivity of the pointer tool (it is an absolute nightmare deselecting all the objects you don't want selected when dragging a marquee around a selection)

• "Contol click" through objects to select objects behind.

• Polygon previews and editable polygons

• Editable corner radius's.

• Grouped objects have the appearance of a group... don't want to guess or read if something is a group or not... it should be visually apparent.

• Deleting a page also removes it's contents. Instead of having to delete the contents separately.

• 3D rotate tool

• A functional attach type to path tool

and last but not least....

a logical simple user experience... which I suppose will never happen! ;)

thanks,

Mark f
mf3

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

"Transform Each"

Postby Pease Press » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:28 am

(In CS4), Illustrator's "Transform Each" panel disappears every time I use it. I'd like the option of making this panel persistent so I can click it once rather than have to find it in the pull-down menu. (Persistent should be the default).
Pease Press

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Next

Return to Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum