[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Paste Inside for Illustrator
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:56 am

Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Paste Inside for Illustrator

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.

Paste Inside for Illustrator

Postby Pixero » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:19 am

Wouldn't it be nice if you could "paste inside" in Illustrator?
Well, now you can!

Here is a short videoclip showing it in action: http://www.govisit.se/pasteInside_for_Illustrator.swf

With the help of Carlos Canto I have created my first Illustrator script that mimics how "Paste Inside" works.
You can paste multiple objects at once and also let paths be added to an existing clipmap while retaining the clipping paths fill and stroke.

It doesn't work exactly as in Freehand though. You don't cut the content before pasting it inside. Just select them with the "clipping path" as the BOTTOM MOST path. And run the script. Having the Clipping path at the bottom is important for the script to work.
Here's the script:
Right click and save as pasteInside.jsx

Scripts can't be assigned a quick key in Illustrator but I've found out a way to do it. (At least on Windows but maybe also for OSX.)
Windows: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/749001?tstart=0
OSX: http://forums.adobe.com/message/2943218#2943218
By the way I use Ctrl+Alt+V to paste inside.
Hopes this takes out some of the frustration of using Illustrator. I know it will for me.
Pixero

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Paste Inside for Illustrator

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:44 pm

Clever. I've downloaded the script and added it to my Ai, Jan. There have been a number of scripts made by FreeHand users that have helped bring semi-FreeHand functionality into Ai.

What I am looking for is a "paste-inside" script that allows me to copy FreeHand's entire code and paste it into Illustrator CS5. ;)
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Pixero » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Do you have any links to those other scripts?
Pixero

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Here are some scripts that I am familiar with for a more FreeHand-like experience. These are no replacement for FreeHand's capabilities but help to get closer... sort of.

Select only objects within a selection marquee.
Apply this script after making a marquee selection with either the white pointer or the Lasso, one script deselects partially-selected paths; the other selects the rest of partially-selected paths.
Download:

Make Point Type
Script to convert Area Type boxes to Point type from imported FreeHand files. See video:
Download:

Find and Replace Graphics
Emulates some Find/ Replace functions like in FreeHand. See video:
Download:

Archimedean Spiral
Create a linear spiral like in FreeHand. Includes other scripts in this package.
Download:
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Snaptophobic » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:31 am

Do these scripts also work with older Illustrator versions? I am not upgrading from CS3.

Thanks.
|

"Let my windows be open to receive new ideas but let me also be strong enough not to be blown away by them." - Mahatma Gandhi.
Snaptophobic

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Pixero » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:16 pm

I should think so but haven't tested.
Pixero

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Snaptophobic » Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:38 pm

|

"Let my windows be open to receive new ideas but let me also be strong enough not to be blown away by them." - Mahatma Gandhi.
Snaptophobic

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:34 pm

I do know that a few of these were created when CS4 came out so I believe they work with CS3 too. But since a couple are now at version 2 and 3, you might have to experiment.

Personally, I do as much work as possible in FreeHand first before I move the art over to Illustrator for any finishing touches or exporting. But, if you know of other scripts to emulate FreeHand functions, add them here.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby MARK FRASER » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:35 am

hello all...
thanks for the links to the scripts above, much appreciated.
does anyone know of a find and replace "colour" script or something that can be used in illustrator?
many thanks,
mark
MARK FRASER

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Monika Gause » Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:08 am

Monika Gause

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Subscribe to Feed