[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Why FH is better than Ai???
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:54 am

Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Why FH is better than Ai???

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.

Why FH is better than Ai???

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:48 pm

(a post by user Alberto Rotamundo, from our previous Q&A forum)

I began using vector graphics software when FH was already out... So, the only one I know and use is Adobe Illustrator.

However, I would like to know new tools to obtain better results... so, could you tell me why do you prefer FH instead of Ai??

Thanks
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Why FH is better than Ai???

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:49 pm

(answer by FFH Mark)

For me, the simplicity of Freehand is the difference and that equates to Creativity and Speed. Illustrator is like a swiss army knife; it has the blades and can opener also corkscrew, toothpick, scissors, etc. These are tools needed sometimes but can get in the way of the knife blade itself or it keeps the knife cumbersome and heavier than I want.

I prefer Freehand because I can move very quickly and in multiple pages of various sizes. I can shuffle objects from page to page and into the margins to create a poster, postcard and brochure all in one file. Especially good when designing variations on a theme that are mixed sizes.

"Paste Into" feature is brilliant and simple unlike Illustrator's clipping path. I can edit my collected "Paste Into" object no matter how many items I've pasted in it. Again, it's a way to stay creative through simplicity.

The number one difference is the selection pointers which are simpler and require less steps, but if you are used to Illustrator; this won't make a difference to you. There are other tools in Freehand but I suggest you download and play with the trial version at Adobe: http://www.adobe.com/products/freehand/

Also Alberto, I keep my Illustrator CS3 close by. Sometimes I need that "Swiss Army Knife" for the Freehand files I import into it; to add special features. I need a corkscrew or a nail file every so often too.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:49 pm

(answer by Kookaburra)

I agree completely. Especially the "logics" behind the pointers is what makes FH simpler on the first sight. "One click in FH ist 2-3 clicks in AI".
I once tried to redraw a logo, which I needed for an ad (done in corel and the client was unable to support me with a better solution than a 72dpi-png) in FH and AI. In FH it took me about 14 minutes, in AI exactly 32 minutes.

Freehand is ideal to "play" with forms and curves and to translate your hand-done-scribbles of logo-ideas into vectorised, printable signs to try different colors etc.
And FH is ideal to draw exact punches for boxes etc., for its very simple to define forms numerically.

There is just one thing, I would love to have in FH: the handling of the Pen-Tool, to draw curves is done quite easier in the Adobe version (Photoshop).
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:50 pm

(answer by Terrible Troll)

Freehand has a much simpler method for selecting point and objects. Illustrator is clumsy and less intuitive to put in precise points and vectors.

I have used FreeHand for years producing maps for signs and it is way superior. It is not that the job is not possible in Illustrator, it is just that Illustrator gets needlessly complicated and slow to handle massive complex diagrams.

As for printing using spot colours - where do I start?

I started vector drawing with Illustrator 1, then 88 then changed over to use Freehand, because of it's precision. Illustrator did not have co-ordinate placement of points and vectors for ages. So ironically, Illustrator was the better freehand tool, whereas Freehand was the more precise.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Kookaburra » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:43 pm

The simplicity … thats it! "Fast and furious" FH can be used to do Logos, buttons etc. in a way, these things work in real life.
If you want to be forgotten for many hours of your life before the screen, just to do an "awful illustration of hobbits in all shades" ... so stay stuck to illustrator.
Kookaburra

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:18 am

For any FreeHand user today to fully understand the granular reasons of why it has been a tool of choice for all of us, I recommend looking into the writings of JETalmage. He has more in-depth knowledge of FreeHand than most users here and as a regular poster on the Adobe Illustrator forums, has an equal expertise with Ai (as well as other vector apps.) His posts are not only enlightening and informative but also challenging on why FreeHand succeeded in ways that Illustrator has yet to achieve. Read and learn:

What does Illustrator do that Freehand doesnt?
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3678745#3678745

Adobe no longer considered Freehand a viable competitor.
http://forums.adobe.com/message/1250061#1250061

There are things I like way better in FreeHand...
http://forums.adobe.com/message/3784215#3784215

An older interview with Mordy Golding is worth a read as well: http://rwillustrator.blogspot.com/2006/ ... lmage.html . Although JET doesn't agree with the mission of this organization, his contribution of knowledge via forums, commentary, and articles has been invaluable.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby pablopb » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:53 am

Note another advantage of FH: FH remembers the original layers of the objets: on FH, ungroup elements and it will go to the original layers, if they were deleted, then FH create they against. Do it on Illustrator, and you lose the original layers.

Idem if you do copy and paste. On Illustrator when you do paste, all elements go on the same layer. :(

Then?
pablopb

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Glyn-e » Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:13 am

I must admit although I only use Illustrator now, I always preferred FreeHand (at least until version7).

The main advantages in my opinion were the 'paste into' as discussed (AI clipping paths are such a faff), the ease of layer use and the flexibility of FreeHand's vector handles. If it were possible to resurrect the software in some form and maintain its intuitive approach, it would be "goodbye AI" from me ;)
Glyn-e

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:16 pm

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel