Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:45 pm

Illustrator related FreeHand topics

FreeHand to 3D SketchUp architecture

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.

FreeHand to 3D SketchUp architecture

Postby Handsfree » Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:49 pm

Another use for old Illustrator (other than a door stop). When using google Sketch Up you can import and export CAD files such as 'DXF' into Sketch-Up for giant 3D text effects and buildings. I am not a great fan of illustrator either but I do find it useful to convert one obscure file to another after leaving FreeHand. I still do all my origination in FreeHand.

It is ideal for importing 'floor plans' into Sketch Up or making that logo in 3D. To make a logo each element and text has to be un-grouped and all text to outline including any 'joins' found in characters such as 'g' or 'e' joins must be split. Simply save as (AutoCAD DXF R14) which is DXF format.

One other option is to avoid illustrator all together and use (Free and Open Source) INKSCAPE to convert a freeHand PDF to DXF format. A better description of how to do it is below:
http://sketchucation.com/resources/tuto ... conversion

Depending on what SketchUp you have I had to 'add' an extension for Sketch up to import DXF in the first place and that was found here.
http://sketchupplugins.com/plugins/conv ... xf-or-stl/

If it 'imports' but does not 'edit' you either have to go back to FreeHand and ungroup everything again as on 'import' SketchUp makes it into a 'component' which effectively groups it all again that has to be ungrouped (or exploded) as they say in SketchUp speak. It does need a tidy up afterwards but it does seem to work.
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand to 3D SketchUp architecture

Postby reezone » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:06 am

thanks for this info, I'm using FH9 to make architecture plans & submit to authority & I also use sketchup.

I wonder if acad files such as dxf/dwg extension can be converted into FH9 files
reezone

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: FreeHand to 3D SketchUp architecture

Postby Handsfree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:31 pm

Yes they can. You need to use INKSCAPE to convert DXF to PDF which you should be able to open In FreeHand on 'import' the PDF. Another way is to use an old copy of ILLUSTRATOR 7 or 8 and try to convert DXF to .ai which you can then open in FreeHand. Either way it should work.
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum