Why is Illustrator so pathetic with radial corners?

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.
FFH Mark

Why is Illustrator so pathetic with radial corners?

Post by FFH Mark »

Yesterday I was trying to do something in Illustrator (that I could do in FreeHand without ever having the need to dig into Help, and much quicker; but I'm trying to get good enough at AI that a true apples to apples feature comparison is possible). I referred to Illustrator Help to make sure I wasn't missing anything. The ability of Illustrator to fulfill this need is a given for designers, so why is it so pathetic of a feature? In FreeHand you can play with a variety of possibilities in the Object Properties dialog box without the need to repeatedly dig into a menu bar function (with no key command shortcut). Furthermore you can uncheck uniform corners and dial in your individual radial corners exactly the way you want (for instance, a rectangle with two radial corners and two pointed); you can invert the radials, and you can generally tweak it ad nauseum to achieve the exact shape you want and spare yourself any cropping or punching. Here's an example that literally took me 5 seconds or less

So, to answer an earlier question, this is one of many, many reasons "why I think Illustrator is bad".
Jabez Palmer asked in RANTS AND RAVES about 1 year ago in previous Free FreeHand Forum

Yeah, this is something that definitely cannot be done in Illustrator currently.
Take a look at the Xtreme Path plugins: http://www.cvalley.com/products/xtreampath/
Seems to offer much flexibility in the way of path editing. I don't use it myself, but I know some "FreeHand to Illustrator" artists who love it.
Other plugins here: http://illustrator.pluginsworld.com/plu ... llustrator
George Coghill answered in RANTS AND RAVES about 1 year ago

That is indeed a nifty feature, quick and intuitive !
I forgot about it, sitting there in the panel's corner...
Mustn't be too difficult to implement it in the Effect
section, that handles the Rounded Corners of an item.
I will make a feature request of it at the AI dev forum.
Can't tell much about its progress after that, though.
Peter Villevoye answered in RANTS AND RAVES about 1 year ago