Copying objects from Illustrator to FreeHand

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.
FFH Mark

Copying objects from Illustrator to FreeHand

Post by FFH Mark »

Working on a Mac in OSX 10.4.11, I was able to select and copy objects in an open Illustrator CS2 file and paste them into an open FreeHand 11.0.2 file, where they would be fully editable. After migrating to OSX 10.6.2 and upgrading to CS3, this no longer works - the objects selected and copied from Illustrator either do not appear (only corner indicators are visible) or a pale version appears and appear as an uneditable low-rez image with funny colors....

Because there are so many missing features in Illustrator, it's important for me to be able to work back and forth between the two apps.

Anyone have any better luck with this?
Peter Agoos asked in HELP 11 months ago in previous Free FreeHand Forum

If you go to Edit>Special>Paste Special and then select AI/EPS from the list it should paste just fine. It works well for me. Good luck!
Danny Haas answered in HELP 11 months ago

Perfect! Pasting objects, eps, tiff all work perfectly with this method. Text paste was not as successful - not all of a text block pasted as editable text - but selecting the Unformatted Text option at least got the text into the FreeHand file (it then needs to be reformatted). Thanks!
Peter Agoos commented 11 months ago

I found this tip from 2003 (unverified, source unknown) – maybe it's useful to s-o:
7. Importing Illustrator 1.1 files
Issue: Illustrator 1.1 files imported into FreeHand are not editable.
Reason: Illustrator 1.1 adds data to the header that FreeHand cannot parse. There is unneeded text before the % character in the header of the Illustrator file.
Solution: In a text editor or word processor, open the file and edit out all text
BEFORE the % sign in the header. Save as text only and then reimport into
FreeHand.
vlad answered in HELP about 1 month ago

I have used FH files into AI by exporting them to FH9. This version of FH has a better compatibility with AI.
Alex Sanchez answered in HELP 11 months ago

Hello,
I get the same now, pasting a vector file from Illustrator into FreeHand turns the object into an (uneditable) image.
build answered in HELP 11 months ago