[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Illustrator VS Freehand (halftones)
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:06 pm

Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Illustrator VS Freehand (halftones)

Make comparisons. Write about your experiences, impressions, problems or questions about working with both applications.

Illustrator VS Freehand (halftones)

Postby Vitaminado » Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:40 am

One of the features i love most in Freehand its the abillity to control Halftones...thats how we see the difference between a really pro oriented software and the rest!
Vitaminado

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Illustrator VS Freehand (halftones)

Postby Sally » Mon May 16, 2011 1:01 pm

Illustrator V Freehand

I posted this topic on the Adobe Illustrator Forum about a week ago. Makes for interesting reading! http://forums.adobe.com/message/3680453#3680453
Sally

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Vitaminado » Mon May 23, 2011 11:32 am

Even when I try to print a job in a postcript film printer illustrator choice of resolutions and lpi it's a joke!!

In Freehand i choose other... and i pick the combination i want.

It's incredible that i have search a lot of forums about Freehand vs Illustrator and no one talks about halfone's!!

One of the most interesting features of Freehand, the hability to choose several lines, types of dots and angles in a single job.

It's not a fight between two programs most of us use them booth and sometimes even other's like Corel. As a prepress professional, designer (i don't know if i can call myself "designer" i don't have a degree in Design) i use several programs but i create or redo my work in Freehand and i love it for it's simplicity, as i love photoshop for its image editing capabilities.

When i began working in this "art", we didn't even talk about graphic software, the only software was to write text that then was photographed and put to film. Then appeared Freehand and Illustrator, and the choice was simple Freehand all the way since 1991 (i think).
Vitaminado

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Mark » Tue May 24, 2011 3:21 pm

FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Vitaminado » Tue May 24, 2011 5:02 pm

Vitaminado

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby trevor » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:06 am

Now that work is upgrading my Mac (and hence Lion) I am in trouble. I have thousands of freehand files. I have tried opening in Illustrator CS5 and a number of errors occur which frightens me. Text blocks cut off and as a forms designer painfully checking every text block is tedious. It potentially adds a lot of time and or releasing forms with errors.

Halftones are critical to me. As a professional I select plate resolutions for screens on the forms. I also use screens to note particular areas. So a form may 10% Black 45 degrees 150lpi. Another shaded area may have 8% 0 degree 99 lpi. on the same form.

As I also do highly secure documents (i.e. Certificates, Bank Cheques and design money) there is complex embedded halftones in the artwork.

Illustrator seems to NOT be able to do any of these things. I am in tears!! and very frightened.
trevor

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Monika Gause » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:05 pm

The cutting off text objects is caused by Illustrators text handling. It converts any FreeHand text to area text, which is often a disadvantage. You can convert area text to point text using scripts. Find appropriate scripts here: www.kelsocartography.com/scripts

As for the handling of halftones, take a look at the plugin Phantasm CS. It creates vector based halftones at your chosen resultion settings. Since these are applied as effects, you can change anything afterwards. The plugin does a couple of other interesting things in the handling of color, especially spot color and separation. Find information here: www.astutegraphics.com
Monika Gause

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Illustrator related FreeHand topics

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum