Fontographer

Post and discuss about other good vector graphics applications.
Exploriment

Fontographer

Post by Exploriment »

I’m surprised this one hasn’t been mentioned.

Even back in the days I was using it, when Altsys had it, I found the drawing tools had a slight edge over those in FreeHand even.

After many years of stagnation (sound familiar) it’s been back for a few years as an offering from FontLab.

While it’s not a substitute for the full FreeHand experience, the drawing tools at least are very similar to it. Those of you, who like me, find the drawing tools in Illustrator a mind boggling PITA, and want to create simple illustrations, logos, etc, might think of trying Fontographer out. When your creation is done, take it into....yes, Illustrator and colour it, etc.
FFH Mark

Re: Fontographer

Post by FFH Mark »

I don't have the latest FontLab Fontographer (still have the old PPC version 4 running in SheepShaver) but I find your comment fascinating that you can use it to create logos and basic illustrations. I know the Altsys team created FreeHand out of the same tools as FOG and the interaction between the two is superb but can you really create decent artwork? I guess dingbat creation would be a similar example but I'd love to see an example of an illustration/logo that you have done this with method.

btw, Rich Hubbard at the FreeHand Blog http://www.enrichdesign.com/fhblog/ is an advocate of Fontographer 5 and FreeHand used in tandem, if he wants to chime in.
DJRich

Post by DJRich »

I know that Fontographer has excellent draw tools. I can see why someone would think of it as an alternative to FreeHand. However, it does not manipulate the graphics as easily, coloring the drawing is difficult and it has few export options. Plus there are not multiple pages.

I am a font designer and use FreeHand and then bring the art into Fontographer. I know that the tools are great in Fog but I am so comfortable in freeHand. Also, FreeHand lets me import the images that I trace over. Fontographer can, but again it's limited.

When Fontographer got updated, it just goes to show that FreeHand can be updated without much issue too. I would love to see FontLab purchase FreeHand (or Quark, etc>).

Long live FreeHand!
DJRich

Post by DJRich »

Fontographer is a great program with exceptional draw tools. However, it does not do many of the things that designers need from a program. There's limited color support, limited tracing abilities and poor export choices. Also, it's more difficult to manipulate graphics in Fontographer than with FreeHand.

But don't get me wrong, I love Fontographer. As a professional font designer, I use it a lot. Strangely enough, I use freeHand to draw my characters and bring them into Fontographer. I guess I'm so comfortable in FreeHand, I would rather draw in that program.

The good thing about Fontographer being updated? That we now know that FreeHand can be updated just as easily. Come on, FontLab, buy FreeHand and update it for us! Or Quark!

Long Live FreeHand!
Exploriment

Post by Exploriment »

Well, it’s been a few years, like, oh a dozen, since I last used Fontographer. I have a whole bunch of old .fog files, just like I have a whole bunch of old FH3 & FH5 files that I can no longer open. I have FontLab Studio, but it can’t open .fog files. I need to get my hands on a program/utility of theirs called FogLight to transfer .fog files into FLS files.

So...not sure what I could post that would serve as a good example. Let me think about what I have though.

But I figured given the similarity between the two, it might serve as a decent substitute for those who miss the ease of FHs drawing tools. (Fontographer predates FreeHand as well.)
HMU-56

Post by HMU-56 »

DJRich I work the same way. Creating logo's and Text elements in FH hand and import them into FontoGrapher. I find the new FontLab FontoGrapher 5 less stable and versatile than the old Altsys FontoGrapher 3 and 4.1.5. because you can't really change the Font embedded parameters in thye new FontoGrapher 5 version. However FG5 does support OTF format fonts.
The Tools are also slitly different from the former version 4.1.5 but still look a lot like FreeHand tools, only much more simple. So to me it's certainly not a FreeHand replacement. But the Idea to ask FontLab to buy FreeHand from Adobe is not bad... only it were better as the whole Free FreeHand community together could buy FreeHand free... sad it wasn't possible :(
johnniewalk

Post by johnniewalk »

May be this tool is really helpful for the tattoo persons, who have a business with it..