[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Fontographer
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:24 pm

Vector app alternatives

Fontographer

Post and discuss about other good vector graphics applications.

Fontographer

Postby Exploriment » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:41 pm

Exploriment

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Fontographer

Postby FFH Mark » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:18 pm

I don't have the latest FontLab Fontographer (still have the old PPC version 4 running in SheepShaver) but I find your comment fascinating that you can use it to create logos and basic illustrations. I know the Altsys team created FreeHand out of the same tools as FOG and the interaction between the two is superb but can you really create decent artwork? I guess dingbat creation would be a similar example but I'd love to see an example of an illustration/logo that you have done this with method.

btw, Rich Hubbard at the FreeHand Blog is an advocate of Fontographer 5 and FreeHand used in tandem, if he wants to chime in.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby DJRich » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:55 pm

I know that Fontographer has excellent draw tools. I can see why someone would think of it as an alternative to FreeHand. However, it does not manipulate the graphics as easily, coloring the drawing is difficult and it has few export options. Plus there are not multiple pages.

I am a font designer and use FreeHand and then bring the art into Fontographer. I know that the tools are great in Fog but I am so comfortable in freeHand. Also, FreeHand lets me import the images that I trace over. Fontographer can, but again it's limited.

When Fontographer got updated, it just goes to show that FreeHand can be updated without much issue too. I would love to see FontLab purchase FreeHand (or Quark, etc>).

Long live FreeHand!
DJRich

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby DJRich » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:00 pm

Fontographer is a great program with exceptional draw tools. However, it does not do many of the things that designers need from a program. There's limited color support, limited tracing abilities and poor export choices. Also, it's more difficult to manipulate graphics in Fontographer than with FreeHand.

But don't get me wrong, I love Fontographer. As a professional font designer, I use it a lot. Strangely enough, I use freeHand to draw my characters and bring them into Fontographer. I guess I'm so comfortable in FreeHand, I would rather draw in that program.

The good thing about Fontographer being updated? That we now know that FreeHand can be updated just as easily. Come on, FontLab, buy FreeHand and update it for us! Or Quark!

Long Live FreeHand!
DJRich

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Exploriment » Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:37 pm

Exploriment

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby HMU-56 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:23 pm

DJRich I work the same way. Creating logo's and Text elements in FH hand and import them into FontoGrapher. I find the new FontLab FontoGrapher 5 less stable and versatile than the old Altsys FontoGrapher 3 and 4.1.5. because you can't really change the Font embedded parameters in thye new FontoGrapher 5 version. However FG5 does support OTF format fonts.
The Tools are also slitly different from the former version 4.1.5 but still look a lot like FreeHand tools, only much more simple. So to me it's certainly not a FreeHand replacement. But the Idea to ask FontLab to buy FreeHand from Adobe is not bad... only it were better as the whole Free FreeHand community together could buy FreeHand free... sad it wasn't possible :(
HMU-56

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby johnniewalk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:28 pm

May be this tool is really helpful for the tattoo persons, who have a business with it..
|
johnniewalk

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Vector app alternatives

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum