Running FH8 on SheepShaver

Post and discuss about other good vector graphics applications.
FFH Mark

Running FH8 on SheepShaver

Post by FFH Mark »

Today I installed SheepShaver on my Quad-Core Intel and played around with FreeHand 8! This pretty incredible considering running OS9 hasn't been possible since Classic mode on the G5 PPCs with Tiger. I am tempted to run a second install of OS7.5 just to run FreeHand 3!
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup
As it is, everything is running quickly and I noticed some redraw slowing only with the more effects and layers I added to the graphic. For those who have legacy FH files, this helps a lot. And the install of SheepShaver is easy enough when following the instructions. OS9 install is same as on any early Mac. Back to the 90's....

Take a look at this:
sheepfh8.jpeg
sheepfh8.jpeg (150.74 KiB) Viewed 16237 times
Monika Gause

Re: Running FH8 on SheepShaver

Post by Monika Gause »

Thanks for the tip - that looks interesting. I'm keeping old hardware for old projects (not specifically FreeHand) at the moment.
FFH Mark

FH5.5 in OS9 on SheepShaver

Post by FFH Mark »

I just installed FreeHand 5.5 and it runs very quickly. Here is another screenshot showing the preferences panel for SheepShaver atop FH5.5. Notice RAM size is limited to 512mb or less which balked when I raised FH5's redraw preferences as high as they could go. Also there is a shared folder that interacts between OSX and OS9 so files can be traded back and forth. In my case, I am using my OSX system to get classic-era utilities online and then placing into the shared folder to install in OS9's environment.
Note the sticky in the left corner where I am reminded to restart SS to access any installer CD.
For Mac users, there is this site that has old legacy ware that are no longer available with comments on what can run in SS and the other virtual machine, Basilisk II:
http://macintoshgarden.org/ (some newer apps are questionable, re:piracy)

sheepfh5.jpg
sheepfh5.jpg (155.16 KiB) Viewed 16232 times
Handsfree

Post by Handsfree »

I know this is an old post but I thought I would make a quick input by saying that FreeHand MX (v11) did work in os9 as well as it does in osx (10.4). I would hate to go back all the way to FreeHand v3,- although FreeHand v9 was a pretty good version to fall back on if necessary. Anything to avoid using 'Frusterator' unless I have to. So Classic compatibility in FreeHand MX is a workable solution for me in the future as long as I can access Classic it should work in a virtual mode.
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

Good point. I considered only legacy FreeHand versions but not that MX could run in a Classic environment as well. Since I posted this thread, I've used Sheepshaver endlessly to open old FH files and update or alter them. Also running Fontographer 4.

Since SS also runs in Lion, I'll give FHMX a shot with the latest Sheepshaver build.