Hello from forum Newbie using FHMX / Win7

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.
Dean

Hello from forum Newbie using FHMX / Win7

Post by Dean »

Hello from a forum Newbie.

I’m a freelance cartographer working mostly in earth sciences. I’ve been using FH since Mac version 3. I’m currently using FHMX on Windows 7 along with Mapinfo GIS, CorelDraw and CAD software. I use Illustrator CS5 to open FH files and am dissapointed, perplexed and annoyed that this function has been discontinued in CS6.

FHMX works well under Win 7 and does most of what I need. I find it very robust if I work within its well known limits.

I also keep an old Macintosh G4 running FH8 and FH5.5 under Mac OS9 in order to access thousands of old files and they all open in FHMX on the PC without any problems. Every time I use the old Macintosh G4 I’m reminded what a great old computer it is and how beautiful and elegant is Freehand. (sigh!)
FFH Mark

Re: Hello from forum Newbie using FHMX / Win7

Post by FFH Mark »

Welcome and thanks for your comments. Being a Win 7 user, you are well suited for keeping FHMX running while us Mac users are exploring new ways to keep it functioning beyond OSX 10.6 Win 8 is doing fine with FHMX as well. But we all agree about the loss of Illustrator conversion for our files in the latest CS6. I just read this post on Adobe's forums to return this feature or even better, to make a standalone conversion app: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1181533