[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Are you weird if you use Freehand?
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:41 pm

FreeHand

Are you weird if you use Freehand?

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.

Are you weird if you use Freehand?

Postby breiny » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm a graphic designer and I love freehand and I still use it. I tried to use Illustrator and make the migration course, but why? just because all the people are using Illustrator? Some people think you're NOT up to date?
The printshop doesn't accept freehand works anymore and they look weird to you when you send the freehand file...
I'M NOT WEIRD I JUST KNOW WHAT IS GOOD FOR ME AS A DESIGNER.
breiny

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Are you weird if you use Freehand?

Postby FFH Thü » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:12 pm

I have that feeling every time when I read comments about FreeHand news on blogs and news sites. Many AI users always make posts defending their AI obviously still having some kind of fear because of FH. I often can tell from their comments they never used FreeHand and mostly have no idea about complex illustration work. I can not understand why they comment at all – they really seem somehow retarded.

But as for the printshops, I am used to give out PDF or EPS even since long before FH was canceled. I also never give out Indesign files. Because if you do that, you have to send the fonts and everything too. PDF is just more reliable. However, I understand that they usually can/could not handle FH files, as we really have become a minority. They can not have every possible design program up and running. Just having the very basic is expensive enough.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Jules V » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:15 am

I'm used to our suppliers asking....is it still in Freehand?
One of our printers is still on OS9, why change if it still works?
I just send out pdfs too, and it makes sure I've also got the final version to archive too :-)
Jules V

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby mf3 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:10 pm

I use freehand all the time, every day, to design everything. I will never stop using it until something more "expressive" comes along! ;) it's still by far the best!
mf3

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Mraj » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:29 am

FreeHand is the only program I opened just to "play" with it ! It has always been a pleasure to work and create with it. At the beginning, I had to choose between Illustrator 1 and FreeHand 1 and the choice was really quickly done, although here in Belgium they only knew about Illustrator when I had to send my files to the printer… this was per-PDF times. Still I sticked with FH as it was the best tool available for vector graphics. And it still is ! So why would I be weird when wanting to use the best tool ever made ?
Mraj

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby luisprat » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:22 am

Freehand simply makes a lot of sense once you see how many "functions" AI has... it is kind of overwhelming and looks more like Corel with so many tools and options that can even be redundant.. I love nd still use Freehand MX every day even thou it has some Win7 x64 compatibility issues but the interface is so streamlined and everything is really at hand.
luisprat

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Tessa » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:05 am

As my presence on this forum suggests, I still use it too, but I realize that some people don't accept these works, so I try not to use it in such cases. Some of them do accept them though, so it's not a problem
Tessa

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby tsiv » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:17 am

No you're not weird if you use Freehand. It's a great tool. I've used it ever since 1991 and loved it all the time. I use Illustrator nowadays. Because I needed to keep on trecking... and man it's a trip 'cause yepp, it isn't Freehand, at first, but then I've discovered I can do everything I can in Freehand and it's got stuff Freehand doesn't. Meshes! The Mesh Tormentor Plug-in just to call upon one feature to die for! Man, just this makes my life so much easier. Just check out some videos on meshes on Youtube and be prepared to be blown away. I don't say I won't stop missing Freehand. Don't get me wrong. I'm prepared to use Stagestack when it comes out of beta, but for the time being I'm the designer and I choose what makes stuff happen for me and even if I grew up on Freehand I know what gets the job done these days. It was a pain in the beggining to getting used to Illustrator, the shortcuts, the different panels, the different approaches to stuff, but at the end of the day it's just another vector program and I can get shitloads done with it. I ditched my Palm Treo in favor of an iPhone a few years ago. Same sort of decision. And there's grass this side of the fence too and it's green. (btw, I started using Illustrator on Dec 2011)
tsiv

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Are you weird if you use Freehand

Postby RozaliaVab » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:09 pm

Your score is:

Of all the weird test takers:

44 are more weird,
10 are just as weird, and
46 are more normal than you

I was sure I would be weirder than that?
RozaliaVab

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum