Lion | Parallels Desktop | Snow Leopard | FreeHand MX

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.
AppleFarmer

Lion | Parallels Desktop | Snow Leopard | FreeHand MX

Post by AppleFarmer »

I had to get a newer MacBook Pro. It can only run Lion, but I still need to be able to run FreeHand MX. So I Installed 10.6 Server into Parallels Desktop and I am now running FreeHand within the virtual machine. Everything works OK, including printing PostScript-files.

This is not a perfect solution, but it works for me.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

Re: Lion | Parallels Desktop | Snow Leopard | FreeHand MX

Post by FFH Thü »

Thank you for the information. Good to know this is working well.
AppleFarmer

Post by AppleFarmer »

I installed PhotoShop under the virtual Snow Leopard installation, so that I am able to edit my links from FreeHand. The performance is very good, no lag. I have 16 Gb of RAM in my MacBook Pro and I've given the virtual machine 4 Gb.

I'm going to test the same setup under Mountain Lion later this week.
HMU-56

Post by HMU-56 »

Hi AppleFarmer,

That's GREAT news. I was just thinking of buying a new Mac Book Pro with retina display. The fact that's holding me back, was that i won't be able to use a.o. FreeHand MX anymore. I use FH for Mac under Snow Leopard on my Mac Pro (special SL dedicated disk) and FH for Windows on a XP machine. Would, except Parallel's Desktop, VMware Fusion also do the job as good? What do you think? (I have VMware Fusion 3, probably needs an update for Mountain Lion). Regards, Hans
AppleFarmer

Post by AppleFarmer »

Parallels Desktop 6 will not run on Mountain Lion, so I need to upgrade to version 7. I'll report back after that.

I have VMware Fusion 4.1.3 running under Mountain Lions (Windows installed, not Snow Leopard). But you should be able to get Snow Leopard installed on VMware.
Mig

Post by Mig »

FYI VMWare 4.1.0 will let you virtualize Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion. That´s something really cool.
Apparently Apple didn´t like that; Not strangely, VMWARE 4.1.3 is restricted to Server versions. You got a good reason to go back to 4.1.0 if you want to virtualize 10.5 or 10.6 .
Cheers!
AppleFarmer

Post by AppleFarmer »

10.8 Mountain Lion + Parallels Desktop 7 + Snow Leopard Server and FreeHand MX is working just fine.