Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:53 am

FreeHand

ADOBE MEDIATION RESULT

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.

Re: ADOBE MEDIATION RESULT

Postby Christoph_Stahl » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:40 am

I have been lurking for a while here and just registered to participate.

Since Lion came out I was very distressed, because I worried that when my current iMac expires, any new Mac would not run Freehand any more.

I have already considered converting to Windows or to Corel Draw. (O.o)

For professional graphic design work I can bear to use Illus*traitor* a little, but there is no way in hell I will ever buy it for my private use and reward Adobe for their treachery.
The things that ThePixelDoc said in this thread about Adobe, I agree 100% with!

The emergence of Expressive is an exciting new prospect and gives me hope!
Christoph_Stahl

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Cheryllion » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:38 pm

The problem with the discount is that it isn't very much, and it isn't good for a discounted upgrade -- I was suckered into purchasing CS3 (as I'm sure many of us were) and now it is incompatible with Windows 7 and they no longer support it. What?? Freehand still works fine with Windows 7! Anyway, if I use the discount I still have to pay $400. But an upgrade is $250. And the upgrade won't open my Freehand files?!? Worthless. They still sell Freehand on their site for $400, by the way. Shameful and greedy. If they are still going to sell it, I can't understand why it is so hurtful to them to pay someone to upgrade it. Bug deal if it isn't their big moneymaker. Maybe it COULD be.
Cheryllion

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby hbanks » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:43 pm

For me, the happiest solution would be learning about an application that could open old FreeHand files, and look and feel the same. Until that happens, I am happy to continue using it in emulation with VMWare Fusion.
hbanks

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby PeterH » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:44 pm

Heartfelt thanks to all at FreeFreehand for trying. The effort was admirable and it must have been a LOT of time invested.
A question for previous poster hbanks: can you give more details about the system you use for emulation - it sounds interesting. What hardware are you using, what OS do you run in emulation?
PeterH

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby MarkG » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks for your heroic efforts on our behalf.

Unfortunately, sometimes Goliath wins...

Mark
MarkG

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Rhewitt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:21 pm

Looking forward to a Freehand clone. Or retirement. Whichever comes first.
Rhewitt

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby bigfoot » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:34 am

Case closed, at least we've tried. Now bring in the baby clone Quasado Expressive.
bigfoot

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby agmedia » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:02 am

What I really wish would happen, at the very least, is for Adobe to simply update Freehand for the latest mac OS. No new development or anything like that. How hard could it be?
agmedia

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby jonbog » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks to all involved for their efforts. Obviously I am disappointed and as I already have CS5 and cannot abide Illustrator their offer was worse than derisory to me. I look forward to the emergence of Expressive and have already given support and will continue to use Freehand as long as I can.
jonbog

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Louise » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks for all your good help. I'm very interested in learning how/if there is a way for us to get our suggestions to the people who will be meeting with Adobe about features we think are important to see in Illustrator.

The single most important one for me is that Illustrator remains capable of opening FreeHand files. Like many of us, I have hundreds, if not a thousand or more, files in FH which would bankrupt me having to re-create in another application. That would be an unpaid endeavor ... as how do we tell clients they must pay to have their work recreated in order to get updates, etc. to their files.

Obviously I would love to see many other features, but without being able to open FH files, they become less important.

How do we get these requests to the team that will be presenting them?
Louise

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

PreviousNext

Return to FreeHand

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum