Freehand and Rosetta, hummmm.......

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.
Motoeuro

Freehand and Rosetta, hummmm.......

Post by Motoeuro »

Hi All,

Like you, I love Freehand and simply cant get away with Illustrator. Probably unlike you, I am using a Mac G5 tower running Freehand MX (v.11.0) with operating system Tiger (OSX 10.4). My poor G5 is nearing the ends of it's life and I fancy a MacBook Pro, but what are your thoughts on Freehand running on Snow Leopard but via emulation with Rosetta ??? Anyone else working like this ? I fear emulation will slow Freehand down back to OS8 levels :(

I see Rosetta is not available on Lion and in fact, i cant even find Rosetta on the Apple site now ! :o :o :o

So I guess eBay beckons for a pre-Lion MacBook.

Any advice would be fantastic, thank you all in advance :D

MotoEuro.
Snaptophobic

Re: Freehand and Rosetta, hummmm.......

Post by Snaptophobic »

spamjim wrote:
Motoeuro wrote:...Any advice would be fantastic, thank you all in advance...
The latest, greatest Windows 7 works fine with FH MX. Why are you limiting yourself to Mac?
There could be several reasons. My first one is that although I own and use several Windows PCs, I hate using them. The second would be font compatibility. With over 4000 PostScript and OpenType fonts in my collection, many only licensed for use on my Mac, how can I ensure everything will work on Windows? Finally, should I really have to move or duplicate all the external resources immediately available on my Mac to a PC just so I can use FreeHand?
My Flickr | Snaptophobic Bloggage
Imagic Design. Good design, no compromise.
"Let my windows be open to receive new ideas but let me also be strong enough not to be blown away by them." - Mahatma Gandhi.
Motoeuro

Post by Motoeuro »

Would far prefer a work around if there is one as I have never used a PC - Been working on macs since 1994 (OS7!) so the whole PC thing isnt my 1st choice.

Having said that, I can get a good PC Lappy for £400.... saving £1000 on a MacBook Pro :D :D
Snaptophobic

Post by Snaptophobic »

spamjim wrote:I'm confused how you own and use several Windows PCs but don't already have access to the design resources you have on your Mac.
Because, for me, the Mac is the right tool for the job. I have an awful lot of money invested in my hardware and software.

The PCs are used for web testing and for my other half to diddle about with his amateur radio and CAD. I don't get on with Windows at all, even though it's improved immensely over the past few years. I'm just a Mac user, and don't want to change.

Besides, why should I change, just because Adobe won't update FreeHand for anyone at all? That's the beef, really. Whether FH runs happily on XP, Vista or Win7 isn't really the point.
"Let my windows be open to receive new ideas but let me also be strong enough not to be blown away by them." - Mahatma Gandhi.
Snaptophobic

Post by Snaptophobic »

spamjim wrote:What is your intent in this discussion?
My apologies. I didn't realise this was a private discussion.

This is an open forum. We are all discussing this. If you intended your message only to the OP you should have sent a private message. :|
Snaptophobic

Post by Snaptophobic »

spamjim wrote:Are you a troll?
Only at the weekends. :D
mgurgun

Post by mgurgun »

What a pointless discussion.
@spamjim - the majority of the FreeFreehand members are trying to find a way to keep FH on their "Macs". Do you have a problem with this? Why do you keep repeating that we should use FH with PC's?
If there is a troll here, its you who fits the definition perfectly.
p_allan

Post by p_allan »

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard. Using the directions on this website's home page, I can use my FreeHand files again. I also have access to a PC. Never touch it! Why anyone with a Mac would bother with one is a mystery to me!
FFH Thü
Site Admin

Post by FFH Thü »

Motoeuro wrote:I fear emulation will slow Freehand down back to OS8 levels
I am using FH on a MacMini (mid 2010) 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo and it is running as fast or maybe even faster as AI which is native on Intel. If you are going to a faster machine anyway, you will certainly not feel it slower. FH just may need some more time to start each time, if it is the first app in need of Rosetta.

My MacMini is quick enough for 95% of my tasks. What I would wish simply is for the OS, apps and documents to open up quicker, so I probably will put in an SSD instead of the HD.