The Benchmark

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.
Shailen

The Benchmark

Post by Shailen »

No matter how "un-updated" Freehand has become, it still supersedes AI with all its bells 'n whistles. Freehand will always be the benchmark that all vector-based software will be compared against. And it is still the fastest. I have been using it from 1998 and if it means keeping my older Mac and Os to run it, so be it. Adobe has to be lacking intellect not to realise what a gold-mine they possess. Playing dirty is their only option.
William

Re: The Benchmark

Post by William »

I couldn't agree more. In fact a graphic designer friend of mine has recently come back to Freehand after a couple of years using AI because they were getting so frustrated with AI
Rodi

Post by Rodi »

Where the graphic arts software is now, is because of a lack of compettion. This is precisely why a strong second party is imperiative. It does not matter whether it is in politics or software, competition keeps the powers that be honest. Lets be brutally honest too, who cares about OTF, right? You are going to buy a new type library because the format has slightly changed? Ya, right. Dan Margulis was right on when he said about Photoshop 7 "the upgrade from marketing." that is where Adobe has been stuck at for a decade.

To create good vector artwork, it is much more a consideration ol what you want to accomplish than bells and whistles, which is why, to us, I believe, Freehand will not have to die, we can use Freehand files as .eps / pdf etc.

I am always so pleased to use Freehand, it is always a great pleasure to me. I love how it handles text, even how it links photos, it is so very practical. Besides creating great vector art, it is a very capable page layout program, stable and clean interface.
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

These are great observations being made in this thread!
What is true is that FreeHand is not outdated or insignificant; the MX programmers were ahead of their time and why so much innovation was poured into the final version of FreeHand. Otherwise why would Illustrator be using features taken directly from FreeHand for their latest "innovations" with CS4 and CS5?

Don't believe anyone who says FreeHand is "old" or "outdated" or whatever. It may need some tweaks to get PDF output updated and other features running smoother but it is not broken. In fact, can you imagine if FreeHand had been developed these last 6 years... DAMN!

(this story ain't over yet)
FFH Thü
Site Admin

Post by FFH Thü »

I remember how upset I was when FH MX came out. The additional points for fillings and lines in the object palette made it necessary for me to often click through more steps then I was used to. I still wish it would be optional.

It makes me feel a bit guilty now, that I was so upset about it before. Now that we face more profound problems - looks like I am being punished for my negative thoughts about MX.

I agree with you Shailen. Even 6 years after the last update, FreeHand is still way ahead Illustrator.