[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - Mac users: Who likes the new Skype?
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:42 am

FreeHand

Mac users: Who likes the new Skype?

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.

Mac users: Who likes the new Skype?

Postby FFH Thü » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:33 pm

This seems like off-topic, but read on and you will see, what happens with Skype is not completely different to what happened to FH.

Hunderts of Skype users are complaining about the new version 5 which has been forced unto them. Yet again we see what happens if a company gets too dominant on the market and ceases to listen to the customers - whos voice was strong against it already during beta testing.
http://forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=756073

There seems to be no one who would not agree that the new version 5 is a bad overhaul - an all new interface which brings the Mac version close to the look and feel of the windows version. Instead of the sleek and functional interface that was the Mac version until 2.8, they made it into a bulky big single window, with a confusing mix of functions and informations.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: Mac users: Who likes the new Skype?

Postby FFH Mark » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 pm

I don't. I tried it for a week or two and deleted it yesterday. What a disaster it is; huge windows and non-intuitive in every way. For any Mac Skype users, I highly suggest sticking with Skype 2.8.0.866 (the last version available.)
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby cyclopsdx » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:24 pm

Well, after my third attempt at downloading it yesterday (the other two times, it crashed when downloading), I must agree that it's way too complex. I do wonder what these development teams are thinking and who is in charge of interface design - certainly not experienced graphic designers in information graphics.

Adding extra features doesn't mean it's better (cough-Adobe-cough).

On a similar note - did you see that Twitter have buckled under user pressure and removed part of the GUI on their iPhone app after negative feedback? If only all developers were like that.
Eddie Deighton

cyclopsdx

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby bishopdante » Fri May 18, 2012 6:04 pm

Hehehe, yea, creeping featuritis.

TBH Skype has always sucked. I had the opportunity to meet the guy who set it up, and I bailed out of the dinner because I disapprove of it to that extent. I knew that if I met him, I'd just end up being really rude about it. It's lock-in closed technology, it's got a remarkably badly designed interface, it spies on all of us, it's a resource hog, it takes money out of your bank without asking you, and it crashes a lot. Needless to say, the guy made a killing when he sold out.

I didn't install the update. As I did 15 years ago as trained by a veteran studio manager from the system 6 days... I don't install updates if there isn't a feature or compatibility issue that I need. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Skype's UX is really poor.
bishopdante

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby bishopdante » Fri May 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Haha, I just checked. I'm running 2.8!
bishopdante

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby bishopdante » Fri May 18, 2012 6:06 pm

NB: if you think 2.8 is good, I dread to think what 5 is all about!
bishopdante

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby fereous » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:25 am

I never have found a compelling reason to go from 2.8 to 5.x. As has already been remarked in this and other forums (forae?), the interface in v. 5 is bloated, oversized and difficult to comprehend. Some things under the hood may have changed for the better, but apart from the gui issues a few things that have gotten worse keep me from switching over.

Also: My first post on this forum!
fereous

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum