[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - New member saying 'Hello!'...
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:05 pm

FreeHand

New member saying 'Hello!'...

Philosophical, ethical, political and legal discussion about FreeHand.

New member saying 'Hello!'...

Postby CODE343 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:23 pm

...Hello everyone! ;)

My name is David, and I am a former technical illustrator / graphic designer who - following redundancy in July 2013 after almost 30 years in the industry - decided to have that career change that everyone is recommended at least once in their lives, and now I work in warehousing and distribution.

Originally trained at Mid Cheshire College at Northwich, Cheshire, using drawing boards, T-squares, ellipse templates, proportional dividers, and Rotring pens, etc, I adpated my skills to suit an Apple Macintosh IIci in the very early 1990s, and worked on various right up to an Apple Power Mac G5 just prior to my redundancy - using Quark XPress, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, and (obviously!) various versions of Freehand through assorted company name changes!

To get to the point of this first post and introduction, I now have the need to rekindle my invoilvement with Freehand for my hobby, and would very much like to know where is the best place to acquire a Windows version of the installation discs. I have read up a little about Adobe's seeming lack of support for our preferred software, or to continue producing or upgrading it periodically.

If anyone has a quick summary of what options are open to me, and what I can be expected to pay for it, that would indeed be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance. :D
David aka CODE343...
CODE343

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: New member saying 'Hello!'...

Postby FFH Mark » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 pm

Hi David. Sorry this is a late reply but to answer your question on the Windows installation; go to our downloads section (on our home page) where you can get the FreeHand MX 30-day trial. Once it is installed you can enter your serial number to make it a full version.

Secondly, you will need to go to this page to activate it: Adobe shut down the online activation for all Macromedia products so you will need to follow the directions to have FreeHand activate.

Glad you found our community and we are also on Facebook and Twitter.
FFH Mark

FFH Mark

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby CODE343 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:28 am

No problems at all Mark - I appreciate we all have other more pressing priorities in our lives than vector illustration software from time to time! ;)

Is that it?!?! WOW, I never thought it would be that simple, and it's worked perfectly, many many thanks! My 30-day trial had only recently elapsed, so your answer was perfectly timed.

I have also 'liked' the Facebook page as well.

Many thanks again - you're a diamond! ;)
David aka CODE343...
CODE343

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby Art McCreative » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:10 am

Hello, I am wondering if Freehand 10 will work with the new Windows 10 & how much longer will it be before Freehand becomes un-useable? I have heard over the years that Freehand will no longer work with new operating systems, for example Windows 7, but it did work, would be grateful if anyone could fill me in on the latest future for this fantastic programme.
Art McCreative

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby CODE343 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:48 am

Oi!, go and start your own thread!... ;) lol
David aka CODE343...
CODE343

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby DarthVector » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:27 pm

Hi David. I'm Tris also new to the forum. I was also at Mid-Cheshire, early 1990's doing graphic design. Did you do the btec 1st at London Road in fine art too?
DarthVector

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby DarthVector » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:53 am

Hey Dave, I was at Mid Cheshire, early 90's studying Graphic Design. Got a feeling you where on the other side of the partition to me! Small world eh! Did you go to London Rd, beforehand?
DarthVector

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby CODE343 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:06 am

Nice idea 'Darth', but no! If you re-read my first post it was the early 1990s that I made the switch from drawing board to Macs. ;-)

I would appear to be considerably older than you as I was actually at Mid-Cheshire from 1980-1984, and studying Technical Graphics - firstly at School Lane, and then the main campus on Chester Road. I emerged with City & Guilds Parts 1 & 2...

...nice to meet another 'Mid-Cheshire-tonian' though mate! ;-)
David aka CODE343...
CODE343

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby fbiancon » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:44 am

Hi.
I have been using FreeHand since the begining too. A Mac SE sometimes in 1989. I then swithched to PC sometimes in 1999... and kept using FreeHand.

Your question about why is Illustator so... (your choice : strange, complicated, unfriendly, so... Capt. Spock gave the final word on his last journey in the 20th century : illogical) is a question asked by thousands of professionals since the very beginning.
fbiancon

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to FreeHand

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum