Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:12 pm

OSXFH-Parallels support

A Few Questions

Support and infos for OSXFH, the FreeHand/Parallels package for newer versions of OSX

Moderator: lovejoy

A Few Questions

Postby daveleo76 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:07 am

Good day!

Just installed OSXFH-Parallels and so far it's doing great.

Just a few questions:

1. When editing links via Photoshop, which is faster/more convenient? Installing Photoshop on Parallels or just edit using the Photoshop in the original OS?

2. Is there a way to turn off the Magic Mouse's scrolling feature just in OSXFH-Parallels? It's too sensitive when using Freehand even if set to the slowest.

Thanks!
daveleo76

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: A Few Questions

Postby lovejoy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Hi - A few answers

Q1. When editing links via Photoshop, which is faster/more convenient? Installing Photoshop on Parallels or just edit using the Photoshop in the original OS?

We work in three solutions:
A - Myself an avowed adobe hater - I use the web-based photopea editor https://www.photopea.com in the Host OS browser.
B- Lead designer uses the CS suite in the Guest (snow lep) She hasn't seen anything super useful added to the suite post the 1st edition which we bought in 2008? I think
C- Most of our younger professionally educated designers work on the apps they were forced to learn in the schools, yep the adobe stuff. They use Adobe subscription suite and use FH when needed to fuse with our workflow. Most of them are taught to be photoshop heavy and avoid illustrator as much as possible.
FH capabilities astound them.

2. Is there a way to turn off the Magic Mouse's scrolling feature just in OSXFH-Parallels? It's too sensitive when using Freehand even if set to the slowest.

We encounter the same issue with all apple trackpads - be they in the mighty mouse or the Magic Trackpad units.
I have no solution for trackpad
but the Magic mouse scroll is controlled by both OSs (Host and Guest) System Preferences.
Try changing mouse settings within snow leopard Sys Pref first since you are happy with the settings in the host.

As a rule I keep the mouse settings identical in both sys. pref. to avoid clashes.

Hope this helps and do let us know either way.
lovejoy

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:01 am

Regarding changing the Swipe behaviour:
MagicPrefs works well for me in Mojave, despite its not maintained anymore.

I waas able to deactivate horizontal scrolling and make vertical scrolling less sensitive, this works for me, no interference anymore, when working in design stuff.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby daveleo76 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:37 pm

lovejoy: Thanks! I still use Photoshop versions CS5(on Snow Leopard) and CS6(on High Sierra) when editing photos/links. It's just that I'm used to the 'Edit in External Editor' option which automatically changes the edited link. But when using Parallels, I need to edit in the host OS then copy back to Parallels then relink the updated pic. But I guess that's how it is.

FFH Thü: Thanks! I also use MagicPrefs but it doesn't install in Parallels. I just completely turn off the swipe function when using OSXFH then turn it on again if I needed to use the host OS.

I still use my FHMX on Snow Leopard for my everyday work. I installed OSXFH on High Sierra as a backup. Just in case (which I hope would never happen) most services (Google Docs, Google Drive, etc) wouldn't be compatible or wouldn't work with SL anymore. I'm already getting a compatibility warning whenever I use Google Docs Spreadsheet. But it still works and I hope it stays that way forever.

Thanks lovejoy and FFH Thü for the replies! This forum really is a big help for Freehand users.
daveleo76

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Postby FFH Thü » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:46 am

Strange. I installed Magicprefs in Mojave 10.14 and it does well in Parallels too that way.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to OSXFH-Parallels support

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum