Partition separate OSX/MX environment

All about running FreeHand inside a virtual system on more recent Macs with OS 10.7 or newer.
turk616

Partition separate OSX/MX environment

Post by turk616 »

Q: If I partitioned hard drive with last successful MX/OSX (10.6.8) operating system--essentially partition for Freehand MX/OSX only--(EPS, TIFF, PDF, whatever file format works, most seamless..finished art to Mavericks)?

Even a separate hard drive would do the trick.

I'm thinking older version of Quark, Photoshop and MX minimally working together toward a finished concept--then import/export, etc.

I can see no reason why--with its own OSX compatibility in its own environment--why it wouldnt work.

Clue me in. Likewise, what form/file type would be best between OSX and Mavericks--finished art?

My needs aren't that complicated, btw. Theoretically, most if not all art could be done in Freehand is what I'm suggesting. (Likewise--I suspect--in Photoshop but I do like Quark in the versatility mix. I don't need to state of the art, obviously.):-)

Help/advice, Puleezee!
FFH Mark

Re: Partition separate OSX/MX environment

Post by FFH Mark »

turk616 wrote:Q: If I partitioned hard drive with last successful MX/OSX (10.6.8) operating system--essentially partition for Freehand MX/OSX only--(EPS, TIFF, PDF, whatever file format works, most seamless..finished art to Mavericks)?
Clue me in. Likewise, what form/file type would be best between OSX and Mavericks--finished art?
The problem I see is that you can't have both OSX's running at the same time without a virtual environment software like FUSION, PARALLELS, etc. But if you want to run a partition with FreeHand, Quark, PSP installed in Snow Leopard (or Tiger) you will have to reboot your computer to Mavericks to continue. I don't think the file type will matter as long as you know what apps will "read" your FreeHand/Quark files like you do now. To me, the rebooting back and forth would be a hassle.

This is why I am still on 10.6 to keep FreeHand going (and a few other legacy apps) while using CS6. If and when I get to the point that I need to upgrade, I will move to FUSION and have both OS's running simultaneously; to drag and drop FH files to the desktop.