Overview of working virtual solutions

All about running FreeHand inside a virtual system on more recent Macs with OS 10.7 or newer.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

Overview of working virtual solutions

Post by FFH Thü »

We would like you to give some recommendations here to FreeHanders who want to use FreeHand on a recent Mac with 10.7 or newer.

I collected some reports from our forum about installations that seem to work. But please give your own advice from your experience in replies to this post. Thanks.
Macbook Pro with Lion, Parallels virtual machine with Windows 7, installed Macromedia Freehand in it. Toggle between a Mac and a PC when you work.
Maverick and VMware Fusion 6 on Mac Laptop, Snow Leopard server is installed. FreeHand is working like a charm. Drag & drop from Snow Leopard desktop to Maverick desktop.
Sheepshaver on Mavericks 10.9, running Mac OS9 and FreeHand 8
FFH Mark

Re: Overview of working virtual solutions

Post by FFH Mark »

Sheepshaver on Mavericks 10.9, running Mac OS9 and FreeHand 8

An update to using Sheepshaver is that FreeHandMX and 10 will also run in MacOS9 "classic" environment. It isn't as pretty as OSX but it works fine and uses a shared folder with OSX apps. Plus Sheepshaver is free and works in OSX up to Mavericks. http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver
FH Addict

Post by FH Addict »

Thanks Mark
p_allan

Post by p_allan »

Why don't you recommend using Parallels with Snow Leopard on a computer with Mountain Lion or Maverick?
FH Addict

Post by FH Addict »

Just to have different kind of solutions to keep FreeHand alive. The more we have, more confident we feel ;-)
Now, my dream would be to have rosetta running with Maverick, then...... Champagne!!!!!!
I believe it will happen.
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

FH Addict wrote: Now, my dream would be to have rosetta running with Maverick, then...... Champagne!!!!!!
I believe it will happen.
Bruno, did you see this thread: http://freehandforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2062
It's a long-shot but could be a possibility for rosetta-like capabilities that get around emulating the entire OS (VMWare, Parallels). —Mark
d dana robinson

Post by d dana robinson »

I used fh professionally starting in 1989 but am just now getting bitten by the teeth of "progress". I do graphics very occasionally now and just got a new mini and its accompanying lack of support for my favorite program. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere nearly computer-literate enough to follow the ideas in this thread.
Can anyone suggest in lay terms a viable workaround? I'm more trying to run my old mini alongside my new one, but that makes internet/email access nearly impossible.
Thoughts.
FFH Mark

Post by FFH Mark »

d dana robinson wrote:I used fh professionally starting in 1989 but am just now getting bitten by the teeth of "progress". I do graphics very occasionally now and just got a new mini and its accompanying lack of support for my favorite program. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere nearly computer-literate enough to follow the ideas in this thread.
Can anyone suggest in lay terms a viable workaround? I'm more trying to run my old mini alongside my new one, but that makes internet/email access nearly impossible.
Thoughts.
Well, much depends on how far you want to go with this considering you do graphics occasionally. There is the variety of solutions above not to mention networking your two minis, which might be better for you.
If you have both minis running you could do your FreeHand work on your old one and transfer your files to the new one. Share one screen monitor and switch back and forth: http://store.apple.com/us/question/answ ... 2XJ4PKTTXH

Does this help?
d dana robinson

Post by d dana robinson »

FFH Mark,

Yes, thanks. Running both machines seems to be the best answer at this point. Appreciate your input.
Bertrude

Post by Bertrude »

Hi all,

I was hoping to get some honest feedback about how well Freehand runs in a virtualised Snow Leopard Server environment as I'm seriously considering updating to Mavericks (from Snow Leopard).

I've bought a copy of Snow Leopard Server 10.6.3 (unlimited clients) from Apple but have yet to decide whether use Parallels or VMWare Fusion. That's less of an issue to be honest unless there's any major issues with one or the other. I'm more interested in how well Freehand runs in the virtual Snow Leopard Server and was hoping someone might have some real time experience with this.

Does it work as it should? Any lag, problems with commands and Xtras or any issues generally that might make it preferential to stick with Snow Leopard as my main OS?

I'm assuming I'll need to install fonts and possibly have to set up a virtual printer to print postscript files. But other than that, does it work well? I'd appreciate any comments.

My thanks in advance :)