[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace() [function.preg-replace.php]: The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
FreeHand Forum • View topic - How to get a new 4 or 8 Core 3,5ghz Mac now, running 10.6.8
Change font size
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:52 am

Hackintosh

How to get a new 4 or 8 Core 3,5ghz Mac now, running 10.6.8

Support and input for building and maintaining a Snow Leopard Hackintosh capable to run FreeHand

How to get a new 4 or 8 Core 3,5ghz Mac now, running 10.6.8

Postby FFH Thü » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:37 pm

You want a new Mac, more speed than any Mac Pro (running 10.6.x) can offer you?

The solution is: Make one yourself. Its called a Hackintosh.

For three weeks now, I do my daily work on a 3.5 GHz Quad Core i7-2700 CPU with Snow Leopard and FreeHand. If you like to make your own Hackintosh, my article here may get you started:

FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: How to get a new 4 or 8 Core 3,5ghz Mac now, running 10.

Postby Handsfree » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:30 pm

Thanks Thu, this is something that I have thought about as, yes Apple is doing what Microsoft has always done on PC's. I supposed it has to 'move on' to pastures anew (which is handheld digicoms for the masses). So in Luddite fashion I return to an earlier Apple system that did pretty much everything I needed in 10.4. I have had several Macs and have stripped and (professionally) maintained 25 more (most of them for repro) without hiccup from system 7 up to 9 and X to 10.4. Personally I prefer 'Classic' emulation for reliability with some Type add ons which work for me. (OK I am a bit odd). Even a G3 can be made to buzz if you strip out half the clunk from the system. Rather than go LINUX or do as you have done (which I may have a go at some point), I give you my RETRO SHERLOK method of getting more out of an old Mac Power PPC G3 or G4, Tower or old iBook. Easier than hacking a PC!
Anyway my SHERLOK link for Luddites with older Macs are here. http://www.mydisk.se/artphoto/webpage/sherloksG3/
Handsfree

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Re: How to get a new 4 or 8 Core 3,5ghz Mac now, running 10.

Postby FFH Thü » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:55 pm

Quiet a nice idea to put that information into a discussion with Holmes. When you wrote about Sherlock, I had the impression you meant going back to OS8/9.

But you are right. Why do we need new computers? Mostly not because they got damaged. No. Mostly because we got forced, tricked or seduced into new software which then needs a faster computer or/and a new OS version which needs a newer computer. We always go along, hoping things get better until we discover that what most concerned us before is still not fixed. We only got some new whistle and bells we don't really need.

I always say: I did the same designs in the 90's I do today. Doing it got fairly more easy up to around 10 years ago. But that was the peak of software development for us print designers. Nothing new to really top that since then.
FFH Thü
Site Admin

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Twitter

Return to Hackintosh

Subscribe to Feed

User Control Panel

Login

FreeHand Forum